May 2011 – April 2016
|Constituency||Nominated by the Taoiseach|
3 August 1979|
|Political party||Labour Party|
|Alma mater||NUI Galway|
Lorraine Higgins (born 3 August 1979) is an Irish barrister and a former Labour Party politician who represented the party in the 24th Seanad after being nominated by the Taoiseach Enda Kenny. From Galway, she is a graduate of NUI Galway and the King's Inns. During her time there she was Labour Party Seanad spokesperson on Reform and Foreign Affairs.
A keen golfer, who played off 9 of a handicap, she represented her clubs at every level in women's golf, played in several All-Ireland finals and was a member of the Connaught Girls' Training Panel.
She ran as a candidate in the Galway East constituency at the 2011 general election, where she trailed her running mate by 132 votes before being a eliminated and then transferred 64% of her vote to him to secure the first ever Labour seat in the constituency. In May 2011, she was nominated by the Taoiseach Enda Kenny to the 24th Seanad.
Higgins was a candidate for the Labour Party in the Midlands–North-West constituency for the 2014 European Parliament election but failed to take a seat during one of the worst elections for the Party. She did, however, get the most Party votes in all the constituencies they contested.
She was not selected for re-appointment to the 25th Seanad. Ms Higgins complained about how "regrettable" it was that more women were not included in the parliamentary party. She was quoted as saying: "For me it was the last throw of the dice and I probably won't be involved in representative politics again".
- "Ms. Lorraine Higgins". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "Lorraine Higgins". Labour Party. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- Edwards, Elaine (20 May 2011). "McAleese appointed to Seanad". The Irish Times.
- "Galway East results: Ciarán Cannon set to be elected". The Irish Times. 27 Feb 2016.
- Minihan, Mary (18 March 2016). "Ó Ríordáin and Humphreys selected by Labour for Seanad elections". The Irish Times.