Lord William Powlett
|Lord William Powlett|
Louisa de Caumont|
|Father||Charles Paulet, 1st Duke of Bolton|
25 September 1729 (aged 62–63)|
Hyde Park, London
- Freeman, Winchester 1689, Lymington 1689
- Deputy Lieutenant Hampshire 1689-1729
- Commissioner for assessment, Hampshire and Yorkshire (West Riding) 1689-90
- Captain of militia foot, Winchester by 1697
- Recorder, Grimsby 1699-1729
- Justice of the Peace Hampshire and Lincolnshire 1699-1729
- Mayor, Lymington 1701-5, 1724-5, 1728-1729
- Keeper of Rhinefield walk, New Forest 1718-1729
- Farmer of green-wax fines 1690-1706
- Teller of the Exchequer 1714-1729
He served as Member of Parliament for Winchester from 1689 to 1710, for Lymington from 1710 to 1715 and for Winchester from 1715 until his death in 1729. Lord William became Father of the House of Commons in 1724, on the demise of Richard Vaughan, the member for Carmarthen.
Marriages and issue
- His first wife was Louisa, daughter of Armand-Nompar de Caumont, Marquis de Montpouillon, and granddaughter of Henri-Nompar de Caumont, 3rd Duc de La Force, by whom he had two sons and two daughters:
- He married as his second wife, Anne Egerton (died 1737) in October 1699, by whom he had one daughter:
- Henrietta Powlett (died 1755), married William Townshend (died 1738)
- "Bolton, Duke of (E, 1689 - 1794)". Cracroft's Peerage. Cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Charles Powlett, Duke of Bolton". Family Search: Community Trees. British Isles. Peerage, Baronetage, and Landed Gentry families with extended lineage. Histfam.familysearch.org. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1912). Gibbs, Vicary, ed. "The complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom : extant, extinct, or dormant". London: St Catherine Press. p. 210.
- "The Father of the House". UK Parliament. Parliament.uk. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Helms, M. W.; Watson, Paula (1983). Henning, B. D., ed. "Powlett, (Paulet), Charles I, Lord St. John of Basing (c.1630-99), of Lincoln's Inn Fields, London and Hackwood, Hants.". The History of Parliament: The House of Commons 1660–1690. Historyofparliamentonline.org. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Lord William Powlett". The Peerage. Thepeerage.com. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Watson, Paula (1983). Henning, B. D., ed. "The History of Parliament: The House of Commons 1660–1690". Historyofparliamentonline.org. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Watson, Paula; Wynne, Sonya (2002). Hayton, D.; Cruickshanks, E., eds. "The History of Parliament: The House of Commons 1690–1715". Historyofparliamentonline.org. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- POWLETT, Lord William (1667-1729), of Chilbolton, Hants and Marrick Priory, Yorks. A biography
- Lord William Powlett Family tree
- Charles Paulet, 6th Marquess of Winchester later 1st Duke of Bolton, PC
- The Father of the House