The parish church of Saint Cadoc
Llancarfan shown within the Vale of Glamorgan
|Principal area||Vale of Glamorgan|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Llancarfan is a rural village and community in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales. The village, located west of Barry and near Cowbridge, has a well-known parish church, the site of Saint Cadoc's 6th-century clas, famed for its learning. Cainnech of Aghaboe, Caradoc of Llancarfan and many other Welsh holy men studied there. At the 2001 census, the community had a population of 736. Most of the village lies within a conservation area designated by the local authority in 1971. Buildings listed as being of special historic interest include the Fox & Hounds public house, the former Bethlehem Chapel, the former Wesleyan Chapel, Chapel Cottage, Great House, Corner House and Llancarfan Primary School.
The spacious church, which in the later Middle Ages belonged to Gloucester Abbey, contains a stoup and interesting remains of a rood screen, now adapted as a reredos. In early 2008, architects discovered medieval wall painting in the church under layers of whitewash, including one of only three depictions of St George to be found in churches in Wales. Conservation-restoration work to reveal the entire mural was completed in 2013.
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Llancarvan". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- "Parish Headcounts: Llancarfan". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Parish Headcounts: Llancarfan". Vale of Glamorgan Council. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "15th Century paintings unveiled to public in Llancarfan". BBC. 13 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Llancarfan.|