Little India (location)
People of Indian origin have achieved a high demographic profile in metropolitan areas worldwide, including India Square in Jersey City, New Jersey, US, known as Little Bombay, home to the highest concentration of Asian Indians in the Western Hemisphere and one of at least 24 enclaves characterized as a Little India which have emerged within the New York City Metropolitan Area, with the largest metropolitan Indian population outside Asia, as large-scale immigration from India continues into New York.
A Little India is an ethnic enclave containing a large population of Indian people within a society where the majority of people are either not South Asians or where the majority in the enclave are indigenous to states in the country of India within a South Asian society not identifying as Indian. It may also refer to an area with a high concentration of South Asian shops and restaurants. Its ever-changing lights, shops piled on top of each other, and colorful paint on the walls resemble a very accurate impression of what India's common neighborhoods look like.
- 34 Avenue Northwest, Edmonton
- Falconridge Boulevard Northeast, Calgary
- Mill Woods, Edmonton
- Taradale, Calgary
- Mandalay Drive, Winnipeg
- Carling Avenue, Ottawa
- Toronto CMA - with 572,250 Indo-Canadians (10.4% of the population of 5,583,064), the Toronto area has the second largest population of Asian Indians in the Western Hemisphere after New York.
- East Apache Boulevard, Tempe
- Pioneer Boulevard, between 183rd St. and South St., Artesia
- Black Mountain Road, San Diego
- San Francisco Bay Area - the Bay Area has over 300,000 Indian-Americans, the second largest population in any U.S. metropolitan area other than New York
- Yuba City
- Saybrook Road, Middletown
- Baymeadows Road, Jacksonville
- East Fowler Avenue, Tampa
- South Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando
- West Oakland Park Boulevard, Sunrise
- Jimmy Carter Boulevard, Norcross
- Lawrenceville Highway, Decatur
- Rockbridge Road, Lilburn
- Windward Parkway, Alpharetta
- East Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg
- Lafayette Road, Indianapolis
- Cambridge Street, Burlington
- Moody Street, Waltham
- Route 9, Shrewsbury, Westborough, Framingham
- Providence Hwy, Norwood.
- Daniel Webster Highway
- Amherst Street
- Hudson County
- Middlesex County
- Monroe Township (emerging), with one of the fastest growth rates of its Indian population in the Western Hemisphere, increasing from 256 (0.9%) as of the 2000 Census to an estimated 3,617 (8.8%) as of 2014, representing a 1,312.9% numerical increase over that period
- Edison - per 2010 American Community Survey Census data, 28.3% ethnic Asian Indian population
- Oak Tree Road, Iselin
- Plainsboro (29.5% Asian Indian)
- Route 27, North Brunswick
- Route 27, South Brunswick
- Stelton Road, Piscataway
- Woodbridge Township
- Mercer County
- West Windsor (18.8% Asian Indian in township)
- Morris County
- Route 46, Parsippany (17.3% Asian Indian in township)
- Somerset County
- Long Island
- New York City – With over 610,000 Indo Americans, the New York City Metropolitan Area contains the largest metropolitan Asian Indian population in the Western Hemisphere.
- Lexington Avenue, in the neighborhood of Rose Hill, between 25th and 30th streets (growing preponderance of South Indian cuisine), has become known as Curry Hill as a result of the presence of old Kalustyan's spice shop, developing rapidly as Manhattan's Indian population nearly doubled between the 2000 and 2010 Census.
- East 6th Street, between 1st and 2nd avenues, also with many restaurants, and known as Curry Row.
- Staten Island
- Western New York
- 3rd Street, Niagara Falls
- Kensington Drive, Sugar Land
- North MacArthur Boulevard, Irving
- North O'Connor Road, Irving
- Old Denton Road, Carrollton
- Plano, 15% Indian
- Nishi-Kasai, Tokyo
- Little India, (Jalan Tengku Kelana), Klang
- Brickfields (Jalan Tun Sambanthan), Kuala Lumpur
- Jalan Welman, Pekan Lama Rawang, Rawang, Selangor
- Jalan Masjid India, Kuala Lumpur
- Little India, Penang
- Paya Besar, Kulim, Kedah
- Jalan Taming Sari, Taiping, Perak
- Little India, Ipoh, Perak
- Jalan Bendahara - Jalan Temenggong intersection in Bandar Hilir, Melaka
- Little India, Malacca
- Jalan Yam Tuan, Seremban
- Jalan Trus, Johor Bahru, Johor
- Jalan India (formerly known as Kling Street), Kuching, Sarawak
United Arab Emirates
In the UAE, Indians constitute more than 40% of the population. Here are some areas with a comparatively larger concentration of Indians.
- Bur Dubai, Dubai
- Al Karama, Dubai
- Satwa, Dubai
- Ras al-Khaimah
- Umm al-Quwain
- Abu Dhabi
- Frankfurt, on the corner of Münchner and Weser street.
- The Hague, Paul Krügerlaan, Transvaal (shopping street)
- Handsworth, Birmingham
- Govanhill, Glasgow
- Hyson Green, Nottingham
- Belgrave, Leicester, Leicestershire
- Latimer, Leicester, Leicestershire
- Rusholme, Manchester
- Slough, Berkshire
- Kingsbury, London
- Southall, London
- Wembley, London
- East Ham, London
- Ilford, London
- Stratford, London
- Tooting, London
- Walthamstow, London
- Ealing, London
- Brent, London
- Leicester East Midlands
- Wolverhampton, West Midlands
- Preston, Lancashire
- New Malden,London
- Forest Gate,London
- Manor Park, London
New South Wales
- Parramatta LGA (9.1% Indian, 8.8% Hindu)
- Holroyd LGA (9.2% Indian, 10.0% Hindu)
- Auburn LGA (5.1% Hindu)
- Strathfield (8% Indians, 13.2% Hindus)
- Market Street, Adelaide
- Little India (Foster Street), Dandenong
- Kiniry, Laura. "Moon Handbooks New Jersey", Avalon Travel Publishing, 2006. pg. 34 ISBN 1-56691-949-5
- Laryssa Wirstiuk (April 21, 2014). "Neighborhood Spotlight: Journal Square". Jersey City Independent. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2013 Supplemental Table 2". U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- "Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2012 Supplemental Table 2". U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- "Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2011 Supplemental Table 2". U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- "Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2010 Supplemental Table 2". Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- "Edmonton Slang Terms ::: StreetRag ::: An Urban Notebook". streetrag.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "A taste of India". winnipegfreepress.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Matt's Montreal Tours. "Matt's Montreal Guided Tours". montrealtours.blogspot.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "A window to Canada's future: how Brampton became a city to watch". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Mir_090910_opt - 0009". Virtual Paper. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- web admin. "India Plaza Celebrates 10th Anniversary". AZFoothills.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Little India San Diego". littleindiasd.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "The San Diego Participant Observer". parobs.org. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "To Market, To Market with San Diego Foodstuff: Ker & Little India: The Spice of Life on Black Mountain Road". sandiegofoodstuff.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Indian population diversifying Bay Area's Asian population". mercurynews.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "2010 Census: Concentrations of Bay Area Asian populations". mercurynews.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Berkeley Daily Planet; Berkeley California. "Boom Ends For South Asian Shops Competition Heats Up in Berkeley's 'Little India', by Riya Bhattacharjee Special to the Planet. Category: Page One from The Berkeley Daily Planet". berkeleydailyplanet.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Things to do in Downtown Berkeley, Berkeley: Neighborhood Travel Guide by 10Best". 10Best. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "The Norwindians: A Trip to Little India". thenorwindians.blogspot.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Global Mall - Global Mall". Global Mall. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Global Mall". gcvb.org. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "International Atlanta - Article from KNowAtlanta Magazine". knowatlanta.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Alpharetta's Indian community is vitally important". rootsinalpharetta.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Chicago Indian Community Guide - ChicagoIndia.us". chicagoindia.us. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Little India, Indian Streets and shopping arcades in the US and North America.....from Garamchai.Com". garamchai.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Chicago Indiana Food: Schaumburg home to 'Little India'; Patel Brothers, Raj Palace Indian grocery stores, restaurants in Schaumburg". ABC7 Chicago. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Indiana". alleycatscratch.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Sai's Boutique & Gifts". yelp.com. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Siek, Stephanie V. (2007-02-08). "Right off the Charles, Little India". The Boston Globe.
- "Waltham's evolving Moody and Main Streets". Boston.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "From Bollywood to cricket, Indian culture in Shrewsbury and Westborough expands". Boston.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Little Baghdad in Sterling Heights". metromode. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Indian Grocers in Hamtown". detroityes.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Discuss Detroit: Inkster - Little Saigon". atdetroit.net. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Zorts Lives". zortslives.blogspot.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- "ACS DEMOGRAPHIC AND HOUSING ESTIMATES 2010-2014 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- Data Access and Dissemination Systems (DADS). "American FactFinder - Results". census.gov. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Data Access and Dissemination Systems (DADS). "American FactFinder". census.gov. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Data Access and Dissemination Systems (DADS). "American FactFinder - Results". census.gov. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- Alan Krawitz. "Hicksville: LI's LITTLE INDIA". Newsday. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "ACS DEMOGRAPHIC AND HOUSING ESTIMATES 2012 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- Barry Popik. "The Big Apple: Little India (Lexington Avenue in Manhattan)". barrypopik.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Kris Ensminger (2008-01-23). "Good Eating Curry Hill More Than Tandoori". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "New York County, New York QuickLinks". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-26.
- Barry Popik. "The Big Apple: Little India (East 6th Street in Manhattan)". barrypopik.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Harrison Peck. "NYC The Official Guide - Must-See Little Sri Lanka: 7 Great Things to See and Do". © 2006–2011 NYC & Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Amy Zavatto (August 5, 2010). "Frommer's - New York City: Exploring Staten Island's Little Sri Lanka". 2000-2011 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All rights reserved. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- "Page not found". diplomaticwife.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Little India - Indian Majority". Little India. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Dallas Asian Culture, Sites, and Facts - Explore Diversity". visitdallas.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Which metro are you surprised by its diversity or lack thereof? (America, population) - City vs. City - Page 4 - City-Data Forum". city-data.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Which metro are you surprised by its diversity or lack thereof? (life, people) - City vs. City - Page 6 - City-Data Forum". city-data.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Indian Immigrants Embrace Suburban Life in Loudoun County". WAMU 88.5. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "The Gate to Chungking Mansions, Chungking Mansion, 重慶大厦, 重慶大廈, Guest House, Hong Kong by Asia Network Co., Ltd.//index.html". chungking-mansions.hk. Retrieved 8 April 2015. External link in
- "Tokyo's Nishi-Kasai: Little India - CNN Travel". CNN Travel. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- K. Kesavapany; A. Mani; Palanisamy Ramasamy (2008), Rising India and Indian Communities in East Asia, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, p. 506, retrieved 2010-11-23
- Damian Corrigan. "Curry in Lavapies". About.com Travel. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Madrid Multicultural: El Rastro & Lavapies - Madrid City Guide-Madrid Apartments for Rent". homesfortravellers.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Where to live in Madrid – Lavapies and Tirso de Molina - Moving2Madrid". moving2madrid.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Little India in Adelaide". weekendnotes.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Dandenong information - Travel Victoria: accommodation & visitor guide". travelvictoria.com.au. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Little India Cultural Tours in Dandenong". weekendnotes.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Dandenong Indian food & culture tours". triptide.com.au. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "A gem in Auckland's Little India - Review of 7 Siri Taste Of Sri Lanka, Auckland, New Zealand - TripAdvisor". tripadvisor.com. Retrieved 8 April 2015.