List of international cricket five-wicket hauls at the Bellerive Oval
Bellerive Oval, also known by its sponsored name Blundstone Arena, is a cricket and Australian rules football ground located in Bellerive, City of Clarence, on the eastern shore of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. It is the only venue in Tasmania which currently hosts international cricket matches, and has a capacity of approximately 16,000, although a record crowd of 16,719 watched Australia play England in 2003. Domestically, the Bellrive Oval is the home ground for the state cricket teams, the Tasmanian Tigers the Tasmanian Roar and the Hobart Hurricanes. It has been used as a venue for international cricket since 1988, when it hosted a One Day International (ODI) between New Zealand and Sri Lanka. The following year saw the first Test match to be held at the Bellerive, between Australia and Sri Lanka. The first Twenty20 International (T20I) hosted at the ground, between Australia and the West Indies took place in 2010. In total, as of December 2015 the ground has been the venue for 12 Test matches, 35 One Day International matches, and 2 T20I matches.
In cricket, a five-wicket haul (also known as a "five-for" or "fifer") refers to a bowler taking five or more wickets in a single innings. This is regarded as a notable achievement. The first bowler to take a five-wicket haul in a Test match at Bellerive Oval was Rumesh Ratnayake, who took 6 wickets for 66 runs in 1989 for Sri Lanka against Australia in the first innings of the first Test played at the ground. The first Australian to take a five-wicket haul in a Test at Bellerive Oval was Merv Hughes, who took 5 wickets for 88 runs against Sri Lanka, in the second innings of the first Test at the ground. The best bowling figures to date were achieved by Shane Warne who took 6 wickets for 31 runs for Australia against New Zealand in 1993-94. There have been 19 five-wicket hauls taken in Test matches at Bellerive Oval, but no bowler has yet taken 10 wickets in a Test.
The first ODI five-wicket haul was taken by Ottis Gibson who took 5 wickets for 42 runs for the West Indies against Sri Lanka in 1996. As of August 2015, no Australian bowler has taken a five-wicket haul at the ground and Gibson's figures remain the best ODI bowling figures for the venue. The first T20I was played at Bellerive Oval on 21 February 2010 and, as of August 2015, no bowler has taken a five-wicket haul at the ground in that format. The best bowling figures were achieved by Nathan Coulter-Nile who took 4 wickets for 31 runs for Australia against England on 29 January 2014.
|The bowler was man of the match|
|10 or more wickets taken in the match|
|One of two five-wicket hauls by the bowler in the match|
|Parenthesis||Parentheses i.e. (1/3) next to the player's name denotes his number of five-wicket haul at the Bellerive Oval.|
|Date||Day the Test started or ODI was held|
|Inn||Innings in which five-wicket haul was taken|
|Overs||Number of overs bowled|
|Runs||Number of runs conceded|
|Wkts||Number of wickets taken|
|Econ||Runs conceded per over|
|Batsmen||Batsmen whose wickets were taken|
|Result||Result of the match|
|1||Rumesh Ratnayake||16 December 1989||Sri Lanka||Australia||1||19.4||66||6||3.35||Australia won|
|2||Merv Hughes||16 December 1989||Australia||Sri Lanka||4||31.4||88||5||2.77||Australia won|
|3||Tim May||26 November 1993||Australia||New Zealand||2||31.3||65||5||2.06||Australia won|
|4||Shane Warne (1/3)||26 November 1993||Australia||New Zealand||3||19.5||31||6||1.56||Australia won|
|5||Mushtaq Ahmed||17 November 1995||Pakistan||Australia||1||30.0||115||5||3.83||Australia won|
|6||Glenn McGrath||17 November 1995||Australia||Pakistan||4||24.3||61||5||2.48||Australia won|
|7||Shane Warne (2/3)||27 November 1997||Australia||New Zealand||4||28.0||88||5||3.14||Drawn|
|8||Saqlain Mushtaq||18 November 1999||Pakistan||Australia||2||24||46||6||1.91||Australia won|
|9||Shane Warne (3/3)||18 November 1999||Australia||Pakistan||3||45.5||110||5||2.40||Australia won|
|10||Daniel Vettori||22 November 2001||New Zealand||Australia||1||36.0||138||5||3.83||Drawn|
|11||James Pattinson (1/2)||9 December 2011||Australia||New Zealand||1||13.5||51||5||3.68||New Zealand won|
|12||Doug Bracewell||9 December 2011||New Zealand||Australia||4||16.4||40||6||2.40||New Zealand won|
|13||Peter Siddle||14 December 2012||Australia||Sri Lanka||2||25.3||54||5||2.11||Australia won|
|14||Rangana Herath||14 December 2012||Sri Lanka||Australia||3||21.5||95||5||4.35||Australia won|
|15||Mitchell Starc||14 December 2012||Australia||Sri Lanka||4||28.2||63||5||2.22||Australia won|
|16||James Pattinson (2/2)||10 December 2015||Australia||West Indies||3||8.0||27||5||3.37||Australia won|
|17||Vernon Philander||12 November 2016||South Africa||Australia||1||10.1||21||5||2.06||Won|
|18||Josh Hazlewood||12 November 2016||Australia||South Africa||2||30.5||89||6||2.88||Lost|
|19||Kyla Abbott||12 November 2016||South Africa||Australia||3||23.1||77||6||3.32||Won|
One Day Internationals
|1||Ottis Gibson||3 January 1996||West Indies||Sri Lanka||2||8.4||42||5||4.84||West Indies won|
- "Bellerive Oval". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Bellerive Oval". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Records / Bellerive Oval / Test Matches / Result Summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Records / Bellerive Oval / One-Day Internationals / Match Results". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Records / Bellerive Oval / T20 Internationals / Match Results". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Greg Buckle (30 April 2007). "Pigeon's almost perfect sendoff". The Canberra Times. Archived from the original on 15 August 2008. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "Swinging it for the Auld Enemy – An interview with Ryan Sidebottom". The Scotsman. 16 August 2008. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Pervez, M. A. (2001). A Dictionary of Cricket. Orient Blackswan. p. 31. ISBN 978-81-7370-184-9.
- "2nd Test: Sri Lanka v Australia, 16-20 December 1989". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "2nd Test: Australia v New Zealand at Bellerive Oval, 26-29 November January 1993". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Records / Bellerive Oval / Test matches/ Best bowling in an innings". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "6th Match: West Indies v Sri Lanka at Bellerive Oval, 3 January 1996". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "1st T20I: Australia v England at Bellerive Oval, 29 January 2014". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan, 17-20 November 1995". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- "3rd Test: Australia v New Zealand, 27 November-1 December 1997)". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan, 18-22 November 1999". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "2nd Test: Australia v New Zealand, 22-26 November 2001". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "2nd Test: Australia v New Zealand, 9-12 December 2011". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "1st Test: Australia v Sri Lanka, 14-18 December 2012". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "1st Test: Australia v West Indies, 10-14 December 2015". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "South Africa tour of Australia, 2nd Test: Australia v South Africa at Hobart, Nov 12-16, 2016". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 12 November 2016.