List of Rajput dynasties and states
During the medieval and later feudal/colonial periods, many parts of North India and modern-day Pakistan were ruled as soveriegn or princely states by various dynasties of ruling Hindu warrior class- Rajput. Following is the list of those ruling Rajput dynasties of the Indian subcontinent :
List of Rajput dynasties and their (main) states
- Bais Rajputs of Punjab, North India.
- Barhiyas of Barahiya, Bihar
- Bhatis of Jaisalmer
- Bhanj dynasty ruling Daspalla, Nilgiri, Bastar and Mayurbhanj.
- Birsen Dynasty (Bisen) of Majhauli (Raj)
- Bizelwans of Chamba, Himachal Pradesh
- Bundelas of Bundelkhand: Ruled Bundelkhand from the 16th century onwards.
- Chand dynasty of Kumaon: Ruled much of Uttarakhand.
- Chandelas of Khajuraho: This Rajput dynasty was founded by Jayasakthi. They ruled the areas across Bundelkhand with Khajuraho as their capital. The dynasty came to an end after Alauddin Khalji conquered Bundelkhand.
- Chauhans of Ajaymeru and Delhi.
- Chawdas of Gujarat.
- Chibs of Jammu and Kashmir
- Chudasamas and Sarvaiyas of Kathiawar – a branch of Samma Rajputs of Sindh.
- Dogra dynasty of Jammu and Kashmir
- Durgvanshi of Jaunpur U.P
- Gahadvalas of Kannauj: This Rajput dynasty ruled the kingdom of Kannauj for around a hundred years, beginning in the late 11th century.
- Gahlots (Gohill *) of Chittorgarh and Bhavnagar.
- Gohil's of Bhavnagar, Palitana, Vala, Lathi and Rajpipla in Saurashtra
- Hadas of Bundi, Kota, Baran and Jhalawar, Rajasthan
- Indorias of Reni: Ruled for about 200 years until 18th century over Reni alongside Sisodias of Mewar.
- Jadejas of Kutch, Nawanagar, Gondal and Dhrol.
- Jadons of Karauli, Awagarh, Aligarh and Agra.
- Janjua Rajput Hindu Shahi dynasty of Afghanistan and Punjab (964-1026 AD): This dynasty was ruling parts of Afghanistan and Punjab at the time of Turkic invasions. Jayapala was its first Rajput king who succeeded the last Brahmin king Bhimadeva.
- Jarrals of Jammu and Kashmir
- Jethwas of Porbandar.
- Jahalas of Kathiawar – also called Makwanas.
- Kachwahas of Jaipur, Alwar and Maihar
- Kalachuris of Central India: ruled for nearly 300 years from the 10th century to the 12th century.
- Katoch dynasty of Kangra: Ruled much of Himachal Pradesh and parts of Punjab.
- Mandahars or Mudhad Suryavanshi of Haryana, Jind, Kaithal and Karnal.
- Paramara dynasty of Malwa
- Parhar, Parihara and Pratihara dynasties of Kannauj. Conquered Kannauj in 816 AD, which remained its capital for about a century, declined in the 10th century.
- Parmar of ... Danta ...
- Parmars of Garhwal, Uttarakhand
- Pathanias of Nurpur: Ruled from the 11th century to 1849 over parts of northern Punjab and Himachal Pradesh.
- Rana dynasty of Nepal
- Rathores of Marwar (Jodhpur and Bikaner)
- Sengars of Bhareh (UP), Jalon (UP), Datia (MP).
- Shekhawats of Shekhawati
- Sisodias of Mewar (Udaipur)
- Sodhas of Umerkot, Sindh
- Solanki dynasty: The Solankis established their rule over present day’s Indian state of Gujarat between 945 and 1297 AD. Their kingdom came into prominence during the reign of Mulraj. They ruled with their capital situated at Anhilwara.
- Songaras of Ambliara, Gujarat.
- Taonis of Ambala.
- Tomars of Delhi and Gwalior
- Ujjainiya of Bihar
- Vaghelas of Gujarat – a branch of Solankis.
- Rajputs – Bhanj Dynasty Provinces
- Census of India, 1981: Uttar Pradesh – Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-12.
- Vijaya R Trivedi
- Dogra Dynasty
- G.S. Ghurye (2005). Rajput Architecture. Popular Prakashan. p. 36. ISBN 81-7154-446-0.
- Roma Niyogi, The history of the Gāhaḍavāla dynasty, page 8
- Mcleod, John (6–9 July 2004). The Rise and Fall of the Kutch Bhayati (PDF). Eighteenth European Conference on Modern South Asian Studies, University of Lund. p. 5. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- Hussain Khan (2004), Chronicles of Early Janjuas, iUniverse, ISBN 0-595-28096-X,
... Jayapala, son of Asatapala, succeeded Bhimadeva in about 353/964. Jayapala was a scion of the Janjua (Rajput) dynasty ... Jayapala being Janjua (Rajput) was known as Hindu Shahi and had succeeded the former Brahman Hindu Shahi ...
- Indian Encyclopaedia, Volume 1
- dynasty of Himchal
- The History of India by Kenneth Pletcher
- Garhwal & Kumaon: A Guide for Trekkers and Tourists – K. P. Sharma – Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-12.
- Bandana Rai
- Greater Game: India's Race with Destiny and China by David Van Praagh
- Studies In Indian History: Rajasthan
- Asha Ranawat
- Humayun: the great moghul by Shiri Ram Bakshi, Sri Kant Sharma
- Historical Dictionary of Medieval India by Iqtidar Alam Khan