List of Kings of Lesotho
|King of Lesotho|
since 7 February 1996
|Heir apparent||Lerotholi Seeiso|
|First monarch||Moshoeshoe I (as paramount chief)|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Chapter V Article 45 of Lesotho's constitution reads that:
- (1) The College of Chiefs may at any time designate, in accordance with the customary law of Lesotho, the person (or the persons, in order of prior right) who are entitled to succeed to the office of King upon the death of the holder of, or the occurrence of any vacancy in, that office and if on such death or vacancy, there is a person who has previously been designated in pursuance of this section and who is capable under the customary law of Lesotho of succeeding to that office, that person (or, if there is more than one such person, that one of them who has been designated as having the first right to succeed to the office) shall become King.
- (2) If, on the death of the holder of, or the occurrence of any vacancy in, the office of King, there is no person who becomes King under subsection (1), the College of Chiefs shall, with all practical speed and in accordance with the customary law of Lesotho, proceed to designate a person to succeed to the office of King and the person so designated shall thereupon become King.
Kings/Paramount Chiefs of Lesotho (Basutoland, 1822–1966)
- Moshoeshoe I: 1822 – 18 January 1870
- Letsie I: 18 January 1870 – 20 November 1891
- Lerotholi Letsie: 20 November 1891 – 19 August 1905
- Letsie II: 21 August 1905 – 28 January 1913
- Nathaniel Griffith Lerotholi: 11 April 1913 – July 1939
- Simon Seeiso Griffith: 3 August 1939 – 26 December 1940
- Moshoeshoe II: 12 March 1960 – 4 October 1966
Kings of Lesotho (1966–present)
|57)2 May 1938 – 15 January 1996 (aged||4 October 1966||12 November 1990
|Son of Simon Seeiso Griffith||House of Moshoeshoe|
|17 July 1963||12 November 1990||25 January 1995
|Son of Moshoeshoe II||House of Moshoeshoe|
|57)2 May 1938 – 15 January 1996 (aged||25 January 1995||15 January 1996||Son of Simon Seeiso Griffith||House of Moshoeshoe|
|17 July 1963||7 February 1996||Incumbent||Son of Moshoeshoe II||House of Moshoeshoe|
- Royal Standard of Lesotho 1966–1987.
- Royal Standard of Lesotho 1987–2006.
- Royal Standard of Lesotho from October 4, 2006.