List of ambassadors of the United Kingdom to Greece
|Ambassador of the United Kingdom to the |
Ο Βρετανός Πρέσβης στην Ελλάδα
Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom
|Appointer||Queen Elizabeth II|
|Website||UK and Greece|
The Ambassador of the United Kingdom to Greece is the United Kingdom's foremost diplomatic representative in Greece, and in charge of the UK's diplomatic mission in Greece. The official title is Her Britannic Majesty's Ambassador to the Hellenic Republic.
The modern Greek state (then the Kingdom of Greece) was established in 1832 at the London Conference of 1832 and internationally recognised in the same year by the Treaty of Constantinople, in which Greece secured full independence from the Ottoman Empire.
Heads of Mission
Minister Plenipotentiary to the King of Greece
Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the King of Greece
- 1862–1864: Peter Scarlett
- 1864–1872: Hon. Edward Erskine
- 1872–1877: Hon. William Stuart
- 1877–1881: Edwin Corbett
- 1881–1884: Clare Ford
- 1884–1888: Sir Horace Rumbold, Bt
- 1888–1892: Hon. Edmund Monson
- 1892–1903: Edwin Egerton
- 1903–1917: Sir Francis Elliot
- 1917–1921: Granville Leveson-Gower, 3rd Earl Granville
- 1921–1922: Francis Lindley
Break in diplomatic relations – see 1922 in Greece
Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the Hellenic Republic
- 1924–1926: Sir Milne Cheetham
- 1926–1929: Sir Percy Loraine, Bt
- 1929–1933: Hon. Patrick Ramsay
- 1933–1939: Sir Sydney Waterlow
- 1939–1943: Michael Palairet
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
- 1943–1946: Sir Reginald Leeper
- 1946–1951: Sir Clifford Norton
- 1951–1957: Sir Charles Peake
- 1957–1961: Sir Roger Allen
- 1962–1967: Sir Ralph Murray
- 1967–1971: Sir Michael Stewart
- 1971–1974: Sir Robin Hooper
- 1974–1978: Sir Brooks Richards
- 1978–1982: Sir Iain Sutherland
- 1982–1985: Sir Peregrine Rhodes
- 1985–1989: Sir Jeremy Thomas
- 1989–1993: Sir David Miers
- 1993–1996: Oliver Miles
- 1996–1999: Sir Michael Llewellyn-Smith
- 1999–2004: Sir David Madden
- 2004–2008: Sir Simon Gass
- 2008–2013: David Landsman
- from 2013: John Kittmer
- Haydn, Joseph, The Book of Dignities: Containing Rolls of the Official Personages of the British Empire (1851)
- Jones, Raymond (1983) The British Diplomatic Service, 1815-1914, Wilfrid Laurier University Press, p.198–199
- The London Gazette: . 17 June 1862. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- The London Gazette: . 10 February 1888. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- The London Gazette: . 16 February 1892. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- Stillwell, Stephen Joseph (2003). Anglo-Turkish Relations in the Interwar Era (snippet view). Volume 73 of Studies in British History. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press. p. 182. ISBN 978-0-7734-6776-7. OCLC 51553133. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- The London Gazette: . 29 February 1924. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- The London Gazette: . 18 February 1930. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- The London Gazette: . 3 March 1944. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- "Our Ambassador". British Embassy Greece. Archived from the original on 4 December 2008.