Vigeland, the administrative centre of Lindesnes Municipality
Lindesnes within Vest-Agder
|Coordinates: 58°6′15″N 7°17′20″E / 58.10417°N 7.28889°ECoordinates: 58°6′15″N 7°17′20″E / 58.10417°N 7.28889°E|
|• Mayor (2003)||Ivar Lindal (KrF)|
|• Total||317 km2 (122 sq mi)|
|• Land||297 km2 (115 sq mi)|
|Area rank||269 in Norway|
|• Rank||216 in Norway|
|• Density||15/km2 (40/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||3.7 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1029|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
Lindesnes (English: the Naze) is a municipality in the county of Vest-Agder, Norway. Lindesnes was created as a new municipality on 1 January 1964 after the merger of the older municipalities of Spangereid, Sør-Audnedal, and Vigmostad.
It is a coastal municipality, with a long stretch of coastline to the south. It also borders Audnedal municipality to the north, Lyngdal to the west, and Mandal and Marnardal to the east. The lighthouse at Lindesnes stands on the southernmost point of the mainland of Norway.
The oldest Old Norse form of the name was Líðandi. That name is derived from the verb líða which means "lead/go to an end" and the meaning is probably just "the end". A later form was Líðandisnes where the word nes which means "headland" was added (related to the English forms ness and naze).
- Ansgar Gabrielsen (born 1955) is a Norwegian consultant and former politician for the Conservative Party.
- Peder Claussøn Friis (1545 - 1614) was a Norwegian clergyman and author.
- Emanuel Vigeland (1875 - 1948) was a multitalented Norwegian artist.
- Gustav Vigeland (1869 – 1943) was a Norwegian sculptor. He is most associated with the Vigeland Sculpture Arrangement (Vigelandsanlegget) in Frogner Park, Oslo. He was also the designer of the Nobel Peace Prize medal.
- Asbjørn Aavik (1902 - 1997) was a Norwegian Lutheran missionary to China and writer.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 27 September 2008.
- Media related to Lindesnes at Wikimedia Commons
- The dictionary definition of Lindesnes at Wiktionary
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway
- Vest-Agder travel guide from Wikivoyage