|Client state of France|
The Italian peninsula in 1796
Devastated blazon that proclaimed the foundation of the Ligurian Republic, 1797; Taggia, Italy
|•||1797–1805||Girolamo Luigi Durazzo|
|•||Upper house||Council of Seniors|
|•||Lower house||Council of Sixty|
|Historical era||Napoleonic Wars|
|•||Invaded by France||14 June 1797|
|•||Annexed by France||4 June 1805|
The Ligurian Republic (Italian: Repubblica Ligure) was a short-lived French client republic formed by Napoleon on 14 June 1797. It consisted of the old Republic of Genoa which covered most of the Ligurian region of Northwest Italy, and the small Imperial fiefs owned by the House of Savoy inside its territory. Its first Constitution was promulgated on 22 December 1797, establishing a Directorial republic.
The Republic was briefly occupied by the Austrian forces in 1800, but Napoleon soon returned with his army. A new Constitution was so published in 1801, establishing institutions more similar to those of the previous Genoan Republic, with a Doge who was president of a Senate.
In June 1805, the area was directly annexed by France as the départements of the Apennins, of Gênes and of Montenotte. After the fall of Napoleon in 1814 the republic was briefly restored between 28 April and 28 July. Following the Congress of Vienna it was awarded to the Kingdom of Sardinia, and annexed on 3 January 1815. The Ligurian Republic used the traditional Genoese flag, a red cross on a white background.