Location of Lieksa in Finland
|Coordinates: 63°19′N 030°01′E / 63.317°N 30.017°ECoordinates: 63°19′N 030°01′E / 63.317°N 30.017°E|
|Sub-region||Pielinen Karelia sub-region|
|• Town manager||Esko Lehto|
|• Total||4,067.60 km2 (1,570.51 sq mi)|
|• Land||3,418.46 km2 (1,319.87 sq mi)|
|• Water||649.14 km2 (250.63 sq mi)|
|Area rank||14th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||85th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.43/km2 (8.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.9% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||11.7%|
|• 15 to 64||62.5%|
|• 65 or older||25.8%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the North Karelia region. The municipality has a population of 11,739 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 4,067.60 square kilometres (1,570.51 sq mi) of which 649.14 km2 (250.63 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.43 inhabitants per square kilometre (8.9/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The town of Lieksa was established in 1973 when the Market town of Lieksa and the Municipality of Pielisjärvi were consolidated.
- Marutei Tsurunen (Japanese: ツルネン・マルテイ or 弦念丸呈, tsurunen marutei), born Martti Turunen in 1940-04-30, the first European-born member of the Diet of Japan.
- Ilmari Juutilainen, the top flying ace of the Finnish Air Force.
- Jorma J. Rissanen, an information theorist.
- Heino Kaski, composer
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Lieksa at Wikimedia Commons