Liberty of the Rolls
|Liberty of the Rolls|
|• 1881||12 acres (0.049 km2)|
|• 1901–1921||9 acres (0.036 km2)|
|• Succeeded by||City of Westminster (parish)|
|Government||Master of the Rolls|
|• District||Strand (1855–1900)|
|• Poor Law Union||
City of Westminster (1913–1922)
It consisted of the part of the ancient parish of St Dunstan-in-the-West that was in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex, the rest was within the City of London. It became a separate civil parish in 1866.
Named perhaps after the ancient Rolls House upon Chancery Lane where the rolls of the Court of Chancery of England were kept, or perhaps, like other parishes, the chapel. The site of the house and chapel became the nucleus of the Public Record Office, now the Maugham Library and Provost's Lodgings of King's College London.
In 1889 the parish became part of the County of London and in 1900 it became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster. It was abolished as a civil parish in 1922. However, its boundary could be readily seen as that area of Westminster which was the conjunction between the City of London and the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn (and later the London Borough of Camden). This apparent territorial anomaly disappeared in 1994 when the Local Government Commission for England altered the border to place all of the area east of Chancery Lane into the City.
- 'Book 5, Ch. 2: The suburbs of the City', A New History of London: Including Westminster and Southwark (1773), pp. 747-68. Date accessed: 7 June 2007.
- 'London, past and present; its history, associations, and traditions, by Henry B. Wheatley, F.S.A. Based upon the Handbook of London, by the late Peter Cunningham.' (1891) as quoted in White, David E. "Joseph Butler: Places Associated". Date accessed: 7 June 2007.