Lews Castle College
|Affiliations||University of the Highlands and Islands,|
Lews Castle College (Scottish Gaelic: Colaisde a' Chaisteil, meaning literally "College of the Castle") is a further and higher education college in the Western Isles of Scotland. The main campus is in the grounds of Lews Castle, Stornoway. The College also has two learning centres in Benbecula and Barra. The College is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands.
The College opened in September 1953, its first principal was Colonel John Macsween. It was originally run by the local authority. It had 83 students and 9 full-time faculty members. In 1993, the College became an independent entity under the Further and Higher Education (Scotland) Act 1992. The Lews Castle was originally used as accommodation for the students, but it is currently needing renovation.
In 2014 the college announced a new Gaelic Scotland degree course to cover Highland history, heritage and literature. The course is to be taught in English but will also allow a range of language-learning pathways.
Merchant navy training
- Access to Merchant Navy (1 year full-time)
- Efficient Deck Hand, GMDSS & STCW Courses (short courses)
- "Isles College Opened. Need for Support for Industry". The Glasgow Herald. 25 September 1953. p. 4. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- "Stornoway - a university town". Stornoway Gazette. 28 December 2012. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Lews Castle College UHI launches Gaelic degree course". Stornoway Gazette. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Merchant Navy Programmes