|Comune di Lesina|
Location of Lesina in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°51′45″N 15°21′10″E / 41.86250°N 15.35278°ECoordinates: 41°51′45″N 15°21′10″E / 41.86250°N 15.35278°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Foggia (FG)|
|• Mayor||Pasquale Tucci|
|• Total||159 km2 (61 sq mi)|
|Population (1 July 2009)|
|• Density||40/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Primiano Martire, San Firmiano Martire, Maria Santissima Annunziata|
|Saint day||May 15|
Lesina lies on the northern side of Gargano and on the shores of the lake with the same name. It is a maritime village known for the production of (female) eels. The site, populated since the Neolithic era, is a narrow strip of land covered with sandy dunes and little woods, separating the lake from the sea, which creeps into its waters through two canals (Aquarotta and Schiapparo).
Devio hill, only 252 metres (827 ft) high, divides the two lakes, Lesina and Varano, and some findings of the Neolithic era have been found there. Lesina, built after the immigration of Dalmatian fishers, and known to Romans as Alexina, was often afflicted by earthquakes and sea flooding, and its population decimated by malaria.
The hot waters of Caldoli stream, not very far and near San Nazario Sanctuary, testify its volcanic activities. The first patron saint of the town is San Primiano Martire, celebrated on 15 May.
Circa 1250 was established the Diocese of Lesina.
Circa 1567 it was suppressed and its territory reassigned to the Diocese of Larino.
- Suffragan Bishops of Lesina
(all Roman Rite)
- Bartolomeo de Sperella, Friars Minor (O.F.M.) (1408 – 1409.06.20), later Bishop of Tortiboli (1409.06.20 – 1425.08.31), Bishop of Bovino (Italy) (1425.08.31 – death 1427)
- Nicola Tartagli, Cistercian Order (O. Cist.) (1409.06.20 – death 1459), also Apostolic Administrator of Dragonara (1438.08.01 – ?)
- Nicolò delle Croci (1463.02.10 – death 1473?), previously Bishop of Chioggia (Italy) (1457.10.21 – 1463.02.10)
- Tommaso da Bitonto, O.F.M. (1473.07.09 – death 1482)
- Masello d’Oria (1482.03.11 – ?)
- Leonardo (1488.07.30 – ?), previously Bishop of Balecio (? – 1488.07.30)
- Francesco Nomicisi (1504.04.29 – death 1507)
- Luca Matteo Caracciolo (1507.08.04 – death 1526)
- Giacomo da Mantova, Dominican Order (O.P.) (1526.04.17 – ?)
- Antonio Pandella (1528.12.11 – death 1528)
- Vincenzo Torelli (1538.10.09 – death 1538)
- Guglielmo Adeodato (1539.10.17 – 1542)
- Antonello Eustachi (1542.04.16 – death 1544)
- Baldassare Monaco, Augustinian Order O.E.S.A.) (1544.06.25 – death 1550)
- Orazio Greco (1551.02.18 – 1567)
In 1968 the diocese was nominally restored as Titular bishopric.
It has had the following incumbents, of the fitting episcopal (lowest) rank :
- Joseph Mary Marling, Holy Ghost Fathers (C.PP.S.) (1969.07.02 – 1976.01.16)
- Emilio Bianchi di Cárcano (1976.02.24 – 1982.04.14)
- João d’Ávila Moreira Lima (1982.06.21 – 2011.09.30)
- Sampathawaduge Maxwell Grenville Silva (2011.11.28 – ...), Auxiliary Bishop of Colombo (Sri Lanka)
- Lesina Cathedral
- Episcopal Palace (13th century)
- Natural Museum of the Lake Lesina
- All demographics and other statistics from the Italian statistical institute (Istat)