Campaign history of the Roman military
|Active||- August 476|
|Part of||Roman Legion|
|Equipment||Gladius, Scutum, Galea|
|Senatus popolusque romanus and|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
|Titles and honours|
|Precedent and law|
From Augustus, the emperor gave the title of legatus legionis to senior commanders (former military tribunes) of a legion, except in Egypt and Mesopotamia, where the legions were commanded by a praefectus legionis of an equestrian rank. The legatus legionis was under the supreme command of Legatus Augusti pro praetore of senatorial rank. If the province was defended by a single legion, the Legatus Augusti pro praetor was also in direct command of the legion.
A legatus legionis could order capital punishment.
The senatorial legatus legionis was removed from the Roman army by Gallienus, who preferred to entrust the command of a legionary unit to a leader chosen from within the equestrian order who had a long military career.
- The book Voluptas by Jonathan Shane O'Brien contains a character, Vincent, who is a legatus legionis.
- The Eagle series by Simon Scarrow features Vespasian, the future Emperor, during his years as legatus legionis of the Legio II Augusta during the Roman conquest of Britain.
- EB Thomasson, Legatus: Beiträge zur römischen Verwaltungsgeschichte, Stockholm, Göteborg, 1991
- Sir William Smith, A dictionary of Greek and Roman antiquities, Volume 1, Ed. William Wayte and George Eden Marindin, 3rd Edition, J. Murray, 1901
- L. Keppie, The Making of the Roman Army, from Republic to Empire, 1984.
- Smith (1901) Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities Vol. 1 PA797. Books.google.com. 2006-07-14. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- Smith (1901) Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities Vol. 1 PA811. Books.google.com. 2006-07-14. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "Roman Legion". Unrv.com. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "The Roman Army Essay". Exampleessays.com. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- "Voluptas (9780982188200): Jonathan Shane O'Brien: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- A dictionary of Greek and Roman... - Google Books. Books.google.com. 2006-07-14. Retrieved 2011-04-16.