Lee District (Metropolis)
|• Succeeded by||
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich|
Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham
Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich
Plumstead District Board of Works (1855—1894)|
Lee District Board of Works (1894—1900)
Plumstead (1855–1894) and then Lee (1894–1900) was a local government district within the metropolitan area of London from 1855 to 1900. It was formed as the Plumstead district by the Metropolis Management Act 1855 and was governed by the Plumstead District Board of Works, which consisted of elected vestrymen.
Until 1889 the district was in the county of Kent, but included in the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works. In 1889 the area of the MBW was constituted the County of London, and the District Board became a local authority under the London County Council. In 1894 the parish of Plumstead was removed from the district to be governed by a parish vestry and the district was renamed Lee.
The district comprised the following civil parishes:
Under the Metropolis Management Act 1855 any parish that exceeded 2,000 ratepayers was to be divided into wards; however the parishes of Plumstead District Board of Works did not exceed this number so were not divided into wards.
In 1889-90 the population had increased enough for the parish of Plumstead to be divided into eight wards (electing vestrymen): North (9), North East (12), North West (9), West (12), South West (15), South East (15), East (12) and South (12).
In 1891-92 the population had increased enough for the parish of Lee to be divided into four wards (electing vestrymen): Church (9), Park (6), Manor (12) and South (9).
- Charlton next Woolwich and Kidbrooke to Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich
- Eltham to Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich
- Lee to Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham
- Youngs, Frederic (1979). Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England. I: Southern England. London: Royal Historical Society. ISBN 0-901050-67-9.
- The London Gazette Issue: 25995. 22 November 1889. p. 6454. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- The London Gazette Issue: 26018. 28 January 1890. pp. 482–483. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- The London Gazette Issue: 26232. 11 December 1891. p. 6847. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- The London Gazette Issue: 26260. 23 February 1892. pp. 993–994. Retrieved 9 April 2015.