Diaz at the on the Edge Film Festival in 2015
Lavrente Indico Diaz|
December 30, 1958
Datu Paglas, Cotabato, Philippines
|Occupation||director, producer, screenwriter, film editor|
Evolution of a Filipino Family|
Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)
Death in the Land of Encantos
Century of Birthing
A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery
From What is Before
Lavrente Indico Diaz (born December 30, 1958) is a Filipino independent filmmaker. He is known as one of the key members of the slow cinema movement, having made several of the longest narrative films on record. Although he had been making films since the late 90s he wasn't well known outside of the Philippines until the release of his 2013 film Norte, the End of History, which was entered into Un Certain Regard section of the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. His 3 subsequent films have received much critical attention and many awards with 2014s From What Is Before earning him the Golden Leopard at the 2014 Locarno International Film Festival as well as a nomination for the Asian Film Award for Best Director, 2016s A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery competing for the Golden Bear at the 66th Berlin International Film Festival and winning the Alfred Bauer Prize, and 2016s The Woman Who Left competing at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival and winning the Golden Lion.
He has won several international awards such as the award for Best Picture at the Singapore International Film Festival, the Independent Film Festival of Brussels and Gawad Urian in 2002 and Netpac Jury Prize and Best Acting Ensemble (2001 Cinemanila International Film Festival) for his film Batang West Side (including Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Music, Best Sound at the Urian), in Gawad Urian in 2005 for the film Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (Evolution of a Filipino Family), and Special Jury Prize at the Fribourg International Film Festival in 2006 for Heremias, Book One.
His films often tackle the issues regarding the current social and political state of the Philippines. His film Kagadanan sa Banwaan ning mga Engkanto (Death in the Land of Encantos), the Closing Film of the orizzonti section of the Venice Film Festival 2007, was awarded with a Golden Lion Special Mention. Death in the Land of Encantos was also in competition at the Artistic Innovation Award (Visions) of the Toronto International Film Festival 2007. He received several awards at the Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature. His film Melancholia won the Orizzonti Grand Prize at the 65th Venice International Film Festival in 2008. In January 2011 he joined the board of directors for Cine Foundation International.
He went back in 2011 at the Venice International Film Festival for his film Siglo ng Pagluluwal (Century of Birthing) and which earned the Grand Jury Prize at the 13th Cinemanila International Film Festival. The following year, his film Florentina Hubaldo, CTE won Best Asian Film at the Jeonju International Film Festival and gained the On-Screen Award at the Images Festival.
His 2013 film Norte, the End of History was screened in the Un Certain Regard section of 2013 Cannes Film Festival. He received the Golden Leopard at the 2014 Locarno International Film Festival for From What Is Before. At the 2016 Berlin International Film Festival, his film A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery was awarded the Silver Bear Alfred Bauer Prize. He also received the Golden Lion at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival for The Woman Who Left.
He is a recipient of the Guggenheim Fellowship in 2010, the Prince Claus Award of The Netherlands in 2014 and The Radcliffe Fellowship of Harvard University, 2016-2017.
|Year||Original Title||English Title||Notes|
|1998||Serafin Geronimo: Kriminal ng Barrio Concepcion||The Criminal of Barrio Concepcion||Best Actor (Raymond Bagatsing) – Gawad Urian 1999|
|Hubad sa Ilalim ng Buwan||Naked Under the Moon|
|2001||Batang West Side||West Side Kid||NETPAC Award – Cinemanila International Film Festival.
Best Picture – Singapore International Film Festival.
Best Picture and Best Actor (Joel Torre and Yul Servo) – Brussels Independent Film Festival.
Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Joel Torre), Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design, Best Supporting Actress (Gloria Diaz), Best Supporting Actor (Raul Arellano) Best Music, Best Sound – Gawad Urian 2002
|2002||Hesus, Rebolusyunaryo||Jesus, Revolutionary|
|2004||Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino||Evolution of a Filipino Family||Best Picture – Gawad Urian 2005|
|2006||Heremias (Book One: The Legend of the Lizard Princess)||Jury Prize – Fribourg International Film Festival 2006|
|2007||Kagadanan Sa Banwaan Ning Mga Engkanto||Death in the Land of Encantos||NETPAC Award – Jeonju International Film Festival.
Best Picture – Jogja International Film Festival.
Special Mention – Orrizonti Price, Venice International Film Festival
|2008||Melancholia||Venice Horizons at the 65th Venice International Film Festival|
|2009||Walang Alaala ang mga Paru-Paro||Butterflies Have No Memories|
|2011||Babae ng Hangin||Woman of the Wind||Unfinished|
|Siglo ng Pagluluwal||Century of Birthing||Grand Jury Prize – Cinemanila International Film Festival|
|Elehiya sa Dumalaw Mula sa Himagsikan||Elegy to the Visitor from the Revolution|
|2012||Florentina Hubaldo, CTE||On Screen Award – Images Festival of Toronto|
|2013||Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan||Norte, the End of History||Un Certain Regard – 2013 Cannes Film Festival|
|2014||Mula sa Kung Ano ang Noon||From What Is Before||Golden Leopard – Locarno International Film Festival|
|2014||Mga Anak ng Unos||Storm Children|
|2016||Hele sa Hiwagang Hapis||A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery||Silver Bear Alfred Bauer Prize – Berlin International Film Festival|
|2016||Ang Babaeng Humayo||The Woman Who Left||Golden Lion – Venice Film Festival|
|2016||Ang Araw bago ang Wakas||The Day before the End|| Principal Prize – 62nd International Short Film Festival Oberhausen |
Best Feature – 14th Tabor Film Festival
- "Lav Diaz". IMDb. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- Jennings, Sheri (August 18, 2011). "Venice Orizzonti adds Lav Diaz's Century of Birthing". Screen Daily. Media Business Insight Limited. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Cinemanila International Film Festival (2011)". IMDb. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- Hwang, Hei-rim (May 8, 2012). "Jeonju International Film Festival award winners announced". Korean Cinema Today. KOFIC. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "Images Festival Award Winners". Images Festival. Tucows Domains Inc. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. April 30, 2013. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Vivarelli, Nick (September 6, 2008). "'Wrestler' takes top honors at Venice". Variety. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Cinema One Originals movies dominate 10th Cinemanila award rites". ABS-CBN News. October 21, 2008. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Why all the TV stars are going indie". CNN Philippines. August 9, 2016. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "An interview with Lav Diaz". Cinética.
- "Q & A: LAV DIAZ". Desistfilm.
- "Indie spirit rules in Cinemanila awards". Philippine Daily Inquirer. November 19, 2011. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Filipino filmmakers win top prizes at the Cinemanila International Film Festival". Philippine Entertainment Portal. November 19, 2011. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Indie director Lav Diaz wins in Toronto fest". Philippine Daily Inquirer. May 4, 2012. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Cheer Factor: Lav Diaz wins in Jeonju". Philippine Daily Inquirer. May 5, 2012. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "NETPAC EASTAR JET AWARD AT THE 13TH JEONJU INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL". Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz film wins 2016 Venice Film Festival Golden Lion". Rappler. September 11, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "FULL LIST: Winners at the 37th Gawad Urian Awards". Rappler. June 18, 2014. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz's epic 'Mula sa Kung Ano ang Noon' wins top prize at Locarno fest". Philippine Daily Inquirer. August 17, 2014. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "5 awards for Lav at Locarno fest". Philippine Daily Inquirer. August 20, 2014. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "FULL LIST: Winners, Gawad Urian Awards 2015". Rappler. June 16, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "FDCP to screen Lav Diaz epic 'Mula sa Kung Ano Ang Noon'". GMA News. August 5, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "First World Premieres Film Festival comes to a close". Film Development Council of the Philippines. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz's 8-hour film 'Hele' wins Alfred Bauer Prize in Berlin". Philippine Daily Inquirer. February 21, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz's 'Hele Sa Hiwagang Hapis' wins big at Berlin Int'l Film Festival". CNN Philippines. February 22, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz's Hele sa Hiwagang Hapis wins Silver Bear Alfred Bauer prize at Berlin filmfest". Philippine Entertainment Portal. February 21, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz's 'Ang Babaeng Humayo' wins Golden Lion in Venice". Philippine Daily Inquirer. September 11, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Philippine revenge drama wins Venice Film Festival's top prize". Reuters. September 11, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz wins in Germany again". Philippine Daily Inquirer. May 16, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Lav Diaz short film wins in Croatia". Philippine Daily Inquirer. July 29, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lav Diaz.|
- The official Lav Diaz website
- New Filipino Cinema, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
- Corporal Histories: Lav Diaz's Epic Philippine Cinema (Exit Art of New York Retrospective)
- Video Interview Cargo Magazine
- The Films of Lav Diaz
- Lav Diaz at the Internet Movie Database
- A Conversation with Lav Diaz by Alexis Tioseco Criticine.com
- Exploitation is never cool to me. A Conversation with Lav Diaz La furia umana, n. 9, Summer 2011 [lafuriaumana.it]
- 11 Hours in a Life's Cause by Lim Li Min (New York Times)
- Militant elegy. A conversation with Lav Diaz La furia umana, n. 17, Autumn 2013 [lafuriaumana.it]
- The Burden of History. A conversation with Lav Diaz La furia umana, n. 21, Autumn 2014 [lafuriaumana.it]
- Philippines Year Zero. A conversation with Lav Diaz Summer 2016 [debordements.fr]
- Lying Down In A World Of Tempest - Lav Diaz Edited collection by Courtisane Film Festival [.pdf]