Langar shown within Nottinghamshire
|Population||980 (2011 census, including Barnstone)|
|OS grid reference||SK7234|
|Civil parish||Langar cum Barnstone|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||NG13 9xx|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Langar is a small village about four miles south of Bingham in Nottinghamshire and the Vale of Belvoir. The appropriate civil parish is called Langar cum Barnstone. The population of this parish at the 2011 Census was 980.
To the south of the parish of Langar cum Barnstone, on Langar Airfield, it borders Clawson, Hose and Harby, the district of Melton and Leicestershire. At Hose Lane it meets Colston Bassett. It passes northwards, crossing Harby Lane, where it follows a tributary of the River Smite. At Langar Lane Bridge, it briefly meets Cropwell Bishop, for around 330 yards (300 m), then borders the parish of Wiverton Hall, following the start of the River Smite, and briefly following Bingham Road at Wiverton Smite Bridge. It passes on the western edge of Northfield Farm, then the east side of Smite Hill Farm (outside the parish). Near the point where the former railway crossed the River Smite, it meets Whatton-in-the-Vale. It meets Granby at Granby Lane, which it follows and the River Whipling, east of Barnstone (part of the parish). The boundary follows southwards, to the east of the former Bingham to Melton railway, and south of Granby Gap woods (outside the parish) it meets Leicestershire.
Both Langar and Barnstone lie on heavy yellow clay which can be screened to yield a decent, red earthenware.
At the 2001 census, the civil parish had 378 households. A modern but relatively tasteful housing estate was added in 2000–01 which added vitality to the community and enhanced numbers at the village school. There remains no village shop, although Cropwell Bishop and Bingham are nearby.
One of the first recorded landowners was Gerard de Rodes in the 12th century. The de Rodes family served as soldiers for King John who visited Langar in 1215. The estate then passed to the Tibetots in the 13th century. Following the marriage of Margaret Tibetot to Roger Scrope, 2nd Baron Scrope of Bolton in 1373, the estate passed to the Scrope family.
The last Lord Scrope who was associated with Langar was Emanuel Scrope, 1st Earl of Sunderland. Emanuel's estate was inherited by Annabella, his illegitimate daughter. In 1677, Annabella married the Gloucestershire politician, John Howe. According to Thoroton, Langar Hall and nearly the whole parish had lately become the estate of Mr Howe.
A famous descendant of the Howe's was Richard Howe, 1st Earl Howe, famous for his victory in the sea battle known as the "Glorious First of June", celebrated every year at Langar Hall. Admiral Howe died in 1799 and was buried in Langar Church.
Another famous son of Langar was the author Samuel Butler whose father, Thomas, was rector of Langar-cum-Barnstone.
St Andrew's Church
- See main article St. Andrew's Church, Langar.
The church of St Andrew's is often called the 'Cathedral of the Vale' due to its large size for such a small village. This may be in part due to its importance as a place of pilgrimage in Saxon times.
The village has lent its name to the Second World War airfield, RAF Langar, which is on the Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire boundary. The airfield was used for bombing operations over Germany by RAF Bomber Command. There is a war memorial at the airfield. 207 Sqn were based there.
There is the Lafarge Barnstone cement works south of Barnstone, formerly owned by Blue Circle Industries, who were bought by Lafarge in 2001. It produces quick-setting cement, by the addition of calcium sulphate, which produces the Microcem brand, known as a special cement. Naturescape Wildflower Farm is north of the airfield. The majority of Langar's working population find employment in nearby Nottingham. A modest bus service is provided by Barton.
Langar C. of E. Primary School
This is the local school of Langar and educates about 103 pupils. There are seven years at the school: Reception, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6. They later go to secondary schools, the most popular being the comprehensive Toot Hill School in Bingham. The headteacher of the school is Andrew Johnson.
Adjacent to the church is Langar Hall, once the home of Earl Howe. The present building was constructed in 1837 and was later bought by Annie Bayley, wife of Thomas Bayley, the former MP for Chesterfield. It is now a restaurant and hotel run by their great granddaughter, Imogen. It is a popular venue for wedding receptions.
Treasure of Robert Earnstock
It is known from pieces of evidence recovered from various places around the Vale of Belvoir that in the 17th century Robert Earnstock committed a series of robberies from numerous places in the area. We know from letters that were later discovered he was raising money to travel to his wife-to-be who lived somewhere to the north of England. Earnstock kept the treasure hidden away until he had raised a small fortune, as he neared his goal Earnstock was caught and hanged for his offences. Earnstock's treasure was never found and is believed to be buried somewhere around the outskirts of the village. If found now the rarity of the items would make them priceless and many historians dream one day to find it.
The Unicorn's Head public house was built in 1717 and had its own brewhouse which can still be identified by its unusual three tier chimney to the south of the building. The public house was originally known as the Feathers. The name was taken from the plume of feathers in the Howe family crest. The current name was adopted following the purchase of the estate in 1799 (following Admiral Howe's death) by John Wright the Nottingham banker and one of the founders of the Butterley Company; he had a unicorn's head as his family crest. The Unicorn's Head was a coaching inn in the 19th century and the original stables can still be seen around the back of the building.
Langar boasts a village green and in 2011/12 reclaimed its historic pond from the pub car park. The inobvious 2nd green to the east of St Andrew's Churchyard provides a delightful and under-used open space.
Aside from the thrills of the parachuting school and the hospitality available at Langar Hall and the Unicorn, Langar is a popular destinations for road cyclists and walkers. Touring opportunities abound, especially to the south where the Belvoir escarpment provides a natural challenge for those heading into Leicestershire. Heavy clay makes the bridleways heavy going for mountain bikers but the quiet roads and charming rural setting make for an excellent and relatively sheltered exploration ground. Watersports enthusiasts can access sections of the Grantham canal nearby where the clean water offers opportunities for flat water kayaking, sculling etc, alongside the local angling community.
People from Langar
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Langar, Nottinghamshire.|
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- "Roger Scrope". thePeerage.com.
- Brown, I. Samuel Butler of Langar, Nottinghamshire County Council Leisure Services (1990)
- "Southwell & Nottingham DAC Church History Project".
- History of the cement works
- Microcem cement
- Special cements
- Primary school