13 March 1950|
Colombo, Sri Lanka
|Occupation||Business Man & Media Mogul|
Lal Wickrematunge is a Sri Lankan business man, media mogul and chairman of Leader Publications which he co-founded with brother Lasantha Wickrematunge. Wickrematunge is the son of Harris Wickrematunge former deputy mayor of Colombo.
Life and career
Wickrematunge was born to Harris Wickrematunge former deputy mayor of colombo and is the grand nephew of the late George E. de Silva. Wickrematunge worked in the Criminal Investigation Department (Sri Lanka) and worked as a business man before co-founding The Sunday Leader alongside his brother Lasantha Wickrematunge who was later assassinated in January 2009. Along with his brother Wickrematunge endured constant run-ins with the government for stories his publishing house would carry including a long standing case made against Wickrematunge and Leader Publications by Gotabhaya Rajapaksa for which he is suing for 2 Billion Rupees ( (€14 million))
- "Lal Wickrematunge". The Guardian. London. 10 February 2009. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Wickrematunge, Lal (21 May 2009). "A window for progress in Sri Lanka". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Wickrematunge, Lal (10 February 2009). "My brother's brutal murder has shamed Sri Lankans". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- "Lal Wickrematunge". The Press Gazette. London. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Wickrematunge, Lal (7 January 2010). "Shock and anger continue in Sri Lanka". rsf. France. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- Wickrematunge, Lal (2 February 2009). "Tissa Sentence". The Xindex. London. Retrieved 2 February 2009.