Elizabeth Fitzalan, Duchess of Norfolk
Lady Elizabeth Fitzalan, Duchess of Norfolk (1366 – 8 July 1425) was an English noblewoman and the wife of Thomas Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk.
Through her eldest daughter, Lady Margaret Mowbray, Elizabeth was an ancestress of Queens consort Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and the Howard Dukes of Norfolk. Her other notable descendants include Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk; Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby; Sir Thomas Wyatt, the younger; and Lady Jane Grey (by both parents).
Marriages and children
Lady Elizabeth was born in Derbyshire, England, a daughter of Richard Fitzalan, 11th Earl of Arundel and his first wife Elizabeth de Bohun, daughter of William de Bohun, 1st Earl of Northampton and Elizabeth de Badlesmere.
Elizabeth had four husbands and at least six children:
- William Montacute (before December 1378)
- Thomas de Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk (1384)
- Thomas de Mowbray, 4th Earl of Norfolk (b. 17 September 1385)
- Margaret de Mowbray (b. 1388), married Sir Robert Howard (1385 - 1436), and from this marriage descended Queens consort Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and the Howard Dukes of Norfolk.
- John de Mowbray, 2nd Duke of Norfolk (b. 1392)
- Isabel de Mowbray (b.1400), married James Berkeley, 1st Baron Berkeley
- Sir Robert Goushill or Gousell of Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire (before 18 August 1401)
- Elizabeth Goushill or Gousell (1404-1491), wife of Sir Robert Wingfield of Letheringham, Suffolk (1403-between 6 October 1452 and 21 November 1454), they were great-grandparents to Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk.
- Joan or Jean Goushill or Gousell (b. 1409), wife of Thomas Stanley, 1st Baron Stanley, King of Mann, and parents of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby.
- Sir Gerald or Gerard Afflete (before 1411)
She died 8 July 1425 in Wighill, Yorkshire, England, and was buried with her third husband in the Goushill tomb in St Michael's Church, Hoveringham, Thurgarton Hundred, Nottinghamshire, England.