|Comune di Lacedonia|
Location of Lacedonia in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°3′8″N 15°25′29″E / 41.05222°N 15.42472°ECoordinates: 41°3′8″N 15°25′29″E / 41.05222°N 15.42472°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Province of Avellino (AV)|
|• Total||81 km2 (31 sq mi)|
|Elevation||732 m (2,402 ft)|
|• Density||36/km2 (93/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Nicola di Mira|
|Saint day||6 December|
Lacedonia was first called Akudunniad by the Osci and then Erdonea. After many destructions, it was rebuilt by the Romans, with the name of Aquilonia, and was part of the Tribe of Galeria. It was later called Al Cidonia and then Cedogna until 1800. Finally it became Lacedonia.
Lacedonia has suffered much from earthquakes, especially in 1694 and 1702. In 1930 another violent earthquake destroyed the whole town; the population lived, temporarily, in earthquake-proof houses and only in the 2001 were they able to move to more modern houses built after the earthquake of 23 November 1980, which killed about 3000 people in southern Italy.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Lacedonia, former see at Lacedonia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lacedonia.|
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "article name needed". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton.