Krušedol monastery

Krušedol monastery

Krušedol monastery
Monastery information
Established 1509-1514
Diocese Serbian Orthodox Church
Founder(s) Meropolitan Maksim Branković and Saint Angelina of Serbia
Location Krušedol Prnjavor, Vojvodina. Serbia

The Krušedol monastery (pronounced [kruʃɛ̌dɔl]) (Serbian: Манастир Крушедол / Manastir Krušedol) is a Serb Orthodox monastery on the Fruška Gora mountain in the region of Srem, northern Serbia, in the province of Vojvodina. The monastery is the legacy of the last Serbian despot family of Srem - Branković. It was founded between 1509 and 1514 by Saint Maksim Branković, Metropolitan of Belgrade and Srem, and his mother Saint Angelina of Serbia. The whole Branković family, as well as two patriarchs of the Serb Orthodox Church, were buried in Krušedol. It is shown on the 5 Dinar coin. In 1708, it became the seat of the Metropolitanate of Krušedol.

Krušedol Monastery was declared a Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1990 and it is protected by the Serbian state.

See also

Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krušedol monastery.

Coordinates: 45°07′10″N 19°56′43″E / 45.11944°N 19.94528°E / 45.11944; 19.94528

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 9/8/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.