Monument in Warsaw
|Directed by||Andrzej Wajda|
Janusz Morgenstern |
Daniel Toscan du Plantier
|Written by||Agnieszka Holland|
|Music by||Wojciech Kilar|
|Edited by||Ewa Smal|
Korczak, is a 1990 film by Andrzej Wajda shot in black-and-white, about Polish-Jewish humanitarian Janusz Korczak. It was screened out of competition at the 1990 Cannes Film Festival. The film was selected as the Polish entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 63rd Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee.
Among the strongest defendants of the epic was Marek Edelman, the Polish Jew who survived the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. Wajda himself, saw the idea of showing the children being led into the Treblinka gas chambers as unnecessary addition of tearjerking moments. Annette Insdorf, a film scholar and strong supporter of Wajda, considers Korczak to be a masterpiece alongside Wajda's own Ashes and Diamonds, in her commentary of Criterion Collection's DVD release of Wajda's War Trilogy.
- Wojciech Pszoniak - Henryk Goldszmit vel Janusz Korczak
- Ewa Dałkowska - Stefania 'Stefa' Wilczynska
- Teresa Budzisz-Krzyżanowska - Maryna Rogowska-Falska
- Marzena Trybała - Estera
- Piotr Kozłowski - Heniek
- Zbigniew Zamachowski - Ichak Szulc
- Jan Peszek - Max Bauer
- Aleksander Bardini - Adam Czerniaków
- Maria Chwalibóg - Czerniaków's wife
- Andrzej Kopiczyński - Dyrektor w Polskim Radiu
- Krystyna Zachwatowicz - Szloma's mother
- Jerzy Zass - German wachman on the bridge
- Wojciech Klata - Szloma
- Michał Staszczak - Józek
- Agnieszka Krukówna - Ewka (as Agnieszka Kruk)
- List of submissions to the 63rd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Polish submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Festival de Cannes: Korczak". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- http://www.wajda.pl/en/filmy/film29.html. Missing or empty
- Ewa Mazierska (June 15, 2007). "Adapt to Survive and Express Oneself" (Google books preview). The Cinema of a Cultural Traveller. I.B.Tauris. pp. 157–158. Retrieved February 16, 2013.