|Municipality and village|
|Coordinates: 50°46′11″N 15°22′01″E / 50.76972°N 15.36694°ECoordinates: 50°46′11″N 15°22′01″E / 50.76972°N 15.36694°E|
|District||Jablonec nad Nisou|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Kořenov (German: Bad Wurzelsdorf) is a mountain village in Jablonec nad Nisou District, Liberec Region in the northern Czech Republic, close to the border with Poland.
Kořenov is situated in the Jizera Mountains, a range of the Sudetes, near the well-known winter sports centre Harrachov. Parts of it are a protected landscape area.
The municipality was established in 1960 by the merger of the former market towns of Polubný and Příchovice with Rejdice and Jizerka. Other settlements include Dolní Kořenov, Horní Kořenov, Martinovské Údolí, Na Kobyle, Nová Víska, Počátky, Růžodol, Světlá, Tesařov, Údolí Nadeje, Václavíkova Studánka, and Zelené Údolí. The hamlet of Údolí Nadeje (Hoffnungstal, Polish: Zieleniec) previously belonged to the Silesian side of the Sudetes, it passed to Czechoslovakia in 1958.
Today Kořenov is home to an elementary school in Horní Kořenov, as well as to a nursery school and retirements home in Polubný, two voluntary fire brigades (DHS Polubný and DHS Příchovice), and a factory producing salami packages.
The first settlers came to the remote forested area in northern Bohemia in 1577 when German Paul Schierer (von Walthaimb zu Falkenau) established glassworks at Rejdice (Reiditz). After the 1620 Battle of White Mountain, the lands were seized by Albrecht von Wallenstein, who sold them to the comital Desfours dynasty. The estates were acquired by the noble House of Rohan in 1824.
In 1902, the cog railway Tanvald-Kořenov connecting to the electrified Izera railway line running to Silesian Hirschberg (present-day Jelenia Góra) was put into operation. Until 1918, Bohemian Unter Wurzelsdorf belonged to the Cisleithanian part of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, in the Bezirk (district) of Gablonz (now Jablonec nad Nisou), one of 94 Bohemian Bezirkshauptmannschaften. A post-office was opened in 1886 named Wurzelsdorf.
Places of interest
- Štěpánka outlook tower (24 metres (79 ft) high), erected in 1847
- Protestant chapel in Tesařov, built in 1909 according to plans designed by Otto Bartning, today attended by the Moravian Church
- St. John's Church in Polubný
- Tanvald–Harrachov rack railway with the steepest gradient (58 ‰) and the second longest tunnel in the Czech Republic (942 m (3,091 ft)), and with a picturesque viaduct across the river Jizera
- Paul Schierer (von Walthaimb zu Falkenau) (1492), glassmaker
- Berthold Bartosch (1893–1968), film director
- Rudolf Burkert (1904–1985), skier
- Lubomír Štrougal (born 1924), former politician, lives at Na Kobyle
- Claus Josef Riedel (1925-2004), glassmaker
- Ladislav Rygl (born 1947), skier
- ↑ Die postalischen Abstempelungen auf den österreichischen Postwertzeichen-Ausgaben 1867, 1883 und 1890, Wilhelm KLEIN, 1967
- The official web pages of Kořenov
- Rack-railway Tanvald - Harrachov
- Media related to Kořenov at Wikimedia Commons