Kirton in Lindsey
Mount Pleasant Mill
Kirton-in-Lindsey shown within Lincolnshire
|Population||2,694 (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference||SK936986|
|– London||135 mi (217 km) SSE|
|Unitary authority||North Lincolnshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Kirton-in-Lindsey, also abbreviated to Kirton Lindsey, is a small town and civil parish in North Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west from the A15 road, and approximately 7 miles (11 km) south-east from Scunthorpe. The town was the home of Catherine Parr.
Catherine Parr, the sixth wife of Henry VIII lived at Kirton-in-Lindsey after she married her first husband, Sir Edward Burgh. Edward's father, Sir Thomas Burgh, 1st Baron Burgh was a steward to the manor of the soke of Kirton-in-Lindsey. In October 1530, Sir Thomas secured a joint patent in survivorship with his son, Sir Edward Burgh, granting them a modest manor.
Historically part of the West Riding of the parts of Lindsey, in the county of Lincolnshire, Kirton became part of Glanford Brigg poor law union in the 19th century and thus ended up in Glanford Brigg Rural District from 1894 and then from 1974 to 1996 the Glanford district of Humberside. This became part of North Lincolnshire in 1996.
The town is situated half on top, and half on the side of a ridge, part of the Lincoln Cliff. It is 6 miles (9.7 km) south from the M180 motorway and 10 miles (16.1 km) south from the centre of Scunthorpe. The B1398 Lincoln to Scunthorpe road passes through the town, as does the B1400 which runs down the north side of the ridge to Messingham as the Cleatham Road. The A15 road is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the east. Grayingham, and the Lincolnshire boundary along the B1205, is 1 mile (1.6 km) to the south. The town is served on Saturdays only by Kirton Lindsey railway station, on the B1400 is the site of the former RAF Kirton in Lindsey. The town is also served by the 103 bus route which runs between Lincoln & Scunthorpe. North of the town, on the ridge next to the B1398, is Mount Pleasant Mill; from here is a view over the Trent Valley.
There are independent shops on High Street and in the market place, including a butchers, bakery, sandwich shop, sweet shop and hair and beauty salons. Plus a Spar shop, a Tesco 'One Stop' & a Lincolnshire Co-op shop. There is a garden centre (with a café) & a company that makes garden sheds etc., both on the outskirts of the town, on the B.1400, past the railway bridge. The two pubs in the town both serve food. Although there is now no major bank in the town, banking can be done via the Post Office (which is just north of the market place). RAF Kirton in Lindsey, situated between the B1400 and B1398 on top of the ridge to the south-east of the town, closed at the end of March 2012. It was called the Rapier Barracks until 2004 when it returned to the RAF. It was sold by the MoD in 2015 to a private developer. There is a Gliding Club on part of the former airfield.
The local secondary modern > comprehensive > single status academy school is Huntcliff School, (named after Alderman W.Hunt), on Redbourne Mere (B1206), which received a Grade 2 "good" Ofsted report in 2015. There is also a primary school.
The United Mission Church of St Andrew is on St Andrews Street and includes Anglican, Methodist and Baptist congregations. There was a Salvation Army Hall, formerly a Primitive Methodist church; the building is no longer standing.
- Porter, Linda (2010); Katherine, the Queen, London: MacMillan, p. 55. ISBN 0230710395
- James, Susan E. (2009); Catherine Parr: Henry VIII's Last Love, Gloucestershire: The History Press. pp. 60-63. ISBN 0752448536
- "Parliametary [sic] Answers - to 24th Jan 2012". Think Defence. 24 January 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Huntcliff School. Retrieved 22 April 2012
- Ofsted report
- Kirton in Lindsey Primary School. Retrieved 22 April 2012