Kinsale (UK Parliament constituency)

Former Borough constituency
for the House of Commons
Number of members One
Replaced by South East Cork

Kinsale was a United Kingdom Parliament constituency, in Ireland, returning one MP. It was an original constituency represented in Parliament when the Union of Great Britain and Ireland took effect on 1 January 1801.


This constituency was the Parliamentary borough of Kinsale in County Cork. A Topographical Directory of Ireland, published in 1837, describes the Parliamentary history of the borough.

It is not known exactly at what time the borough first exercised the elective franchise, but it returned two members to parliament long prior to 1652, and continued to do so without interruption till the Union, since which time it has returned only one to the Imperial parliament. The right of election, previously vested in the corporation, was, by the act of the 2nd of Wm. IV., cap. 88, extended to the £10 householders and limited to the resident freemen; the total number of registered electors up to June 1st, 1837, was 224, of whom 192 were £10 householders, and 32 freemen; the sovereign is the returning officer. The borough and liberties comprise an area of 11,000 acres, within the jurisdiction of the borough magistrates; a new electoral boundary has been drawn close round the town, including the village of Scilly, and comprising an area of 273 acres.

The new boundary of 1832, contained in the Parliamentary Boundaries (Ireland) Act 1832 (c. 89 2& 3 Will. 4), was as follows.

From the Point on the North-east of the Town at which the new Cork Road crosses the old Cork Road, in a straight Line to the Northern Extremity of Mr. Hurley's Stables; thence in a straight Line to the Point at which the Road to Bandon River leaves the Road to Bandon; thence in a straight Line to the Point at which the Blindgate Road meets the Compass Hill Road; thence in a straight Line over Compass Hill to the Westernmost House at the place called "The World's End;" thence along the Coast to the Point at which the same is met by the first Bank which runs up the Hill to the East of and beyond the Village of Scilly;thence along the said Bank to the Point at which the same meets the Road from Scilly to Charles Fort; thence in a straight Line to a Point on the Harbour Hill Road which is distant One hundred and eighty Yards (measured along the Harbour Hill Road) to the East of the Barrack Wall; thence in a straight Line to the Point first described.

Members of Parliament

1801, 1 January William Rowley 1801: Co-opted
1802, 13 July Samuel Campbell Rowley Resigned
1806, 29 April Henry Martin Whig
1818, 27 June George Coussmaker Died
1821, 12 July Sir Josias Rowley, Bt Tory
1826, 15 June John Russell Whig
1832, 18 December Sampson Stawell Liberal
1835, 15 January Henry Thomas Conservative
1837, 7 August Pierce Mahony Liberal Unseated on petition
1838, 1 April Henry Thomas Conservative Declared duly elected
1841, 9 July William Henry Watson Liberal
1847, 6 August Richard Samuel Guinness Conservative Unseated on petition and new writ issued
1848, 11 March Benjamin Hawes Liberal Resigned
1852, 12 February John Isaac Heard Liberal
1859, 7 May Sir John Arnott Liberal Resigned
1863, 8 June Sir George Conway Colthurst, Bt Liberal
1874, 3 February Eugene Collins Home Rule League Last MP from the constituency
1885 Constituency abolished


This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.


External links

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 7/24/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.