King's House on Schachen
|King's House on Schachen|
View of the King's House
|Architectural style||Timber framed|
|Coordinates||47°25′10.91″N 11°6′45.31″E / 47.4196972°N 11.1125861°ECoordinates: 47°25′10.91″N 11°6′45.31″E / 47.4196972°N 11.1125861°E|
|Completed||1869 - 1872|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Georg von Dollmann|
The King's House on Schachen (German: Königshaus am Schachen) is a small castle (Schlösschen) at Schachen, Wetterstein mountain massif, about 10 km south of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria, Germany, built by Ludwig II of Bavaria. The castle was constructed between 1869 and 1872. It can only be reached by a three- to four-hour hike, either from Elmau or Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and provides a view of Zugspitze.
The King's House on Schachen was built between 1869-1872 to designs by architect Georg von Dollmann. It is often described as a hunting lodge, though Ludwig never used it for this purpose, instead utilizing it for birthday and anniversary celebrations. The building is the least-known of the palaces built by Ludwig. One room (known as the "Turkish Room") occupies the entire upper-floor of the castle, and is elaborately decorated in an Oriental fashion. The extravagant upstairs interior stands in stark contrast to the exterior and ground floor, which are rather modest.
Alpengarten auf dem Schachen
Adjacent to the house itself is the Alpengarten auf dem Schachen (1 hectare), an alpine botanical garden maintained by the Botanischer Garten München-Nymphenburg which cultivates over 1,000 plant species from the Alps to the Himalayas.
- Alle bayerischen Museen auf einen Blick, retrieved 2007-10-29
- Tourismus und Wirtshaftsinformationen, retrieved 2007-10-29
- Wanderung in GAP - Königshaus am Schachen, retrieved 2007-10-29
- Schulte-Peevers, Andrea (2002), Bavaria, Lonely Planet, p. 273, ISBN 1-74059-013-9
- Königshaus am Schachen, retrieved 2007-10-29
- Das Schachenschloß - Königshaus am Schachen, retrieved 2007-10-29
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to King's House on Schachen.|
- Official website
- King Ludwig II and his castles
- Alpengarten auf dem Schachen
- Konigshaus am Schachen Story and photos of the King's House