Location of Khashuri in Georgia
|Coordinates: 41°59′23″N 43°35′24″E / 41.98972°N 43.59000°ECoordinates: 41°59′23″N 43°35′24″E / 41.98972°N 43.59000°E|
|Elevation||590 m (1,940 ft)|
|Time zone||Georgian Time (UTC+4)|
Khashuri (Georgian: ხაშური [xɑʃuri]) is a town in a central part of the country and the 9th biggest city of Georgia. Khashuri Municipality administrative centre. It is located on Shida Kartli plain, on the Suramula riverside, 700 metres (2,300 feet) above sea level.
Khashuri is first mentioned in a 1693 document. Modern Khashuri was founded in 1872 as a modest railway stop called "Mikhaylovo" after Grand Duke Michael Nikolaevich of Russia, Viceroy of the Caucasus. In 1917, it was renamed Khashuri. Granted city status in 1921, it was known as Stalinisi after Joseph Stalin from 1928 to 1934. In the 19th century after the leading Tbilisi-Poti main line, Khashuri gradually became a major transportation node. The railways and highways were heading towards Borjomi and Akhaltsikhe. It was declared a town in 1921. The population of the town is 26,135 (2014). There is a rail transport, glass container, food industry enterprises, educational and cultural institutions (public theater, a museum of local lore). The 18th-century tower, St. John and St. Marine's churches are preserved in the town. There is Urbnisi and Ruisi Diocese pulpit and residence in Khasuri.
- "Population Census 2014". www.geostat.ge. National Statistics Office of Georgia. November 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2016.