Location in Tunisia
|Coordinates: 35°10′N 8°50′E / 35.167°N 8.833°E|
|• Governor||Atef Boughatas|
|• Mayor||Maher Bouazzi|
|• Total||108 794|
|Time zone||CET (UTC1)|
Kasserine (Arabic: ڨصرين Gaṣrīn) is the capital city of the Kasserine Governorate, in west-central Tunisia. It is situated below Jebel ech Chambi, Tunisia's highest mountain. Its population is 76,243 (2004).
In classical antiquity it was a Roman colony, known as Cillium. Under Roman Emperor Vespasian (69-79) or Titus (79-81), it was elevated to the rank of municipium, and under the Severan dynasty to that of colonia (Cillilana). Archaeological evidence remains on site: mausoleums, triumphal arches, thermae, a theatre and a Christian basilica.
In 411, Cillium was represented at the Conference of Carthage between Catholic and Donatist bishops by the Catholic Tertiolus and the Donatist Donatus. In 484, Fortunatianus of Cillium was one of the Catholic bishops whom the Arian Vandal king Huneric summoned to Carthage and then exiled.
Titular see of Cillium
Since its nominal restoration in 1925, the Latin titular bishopric has had the following incumbents, both of the lowest (episcopal) rank :
- Boleslavs Sloskāns (1926.05.05 – 1981.04.18), Apostolic Administrator of Mohilev (Belarus) (1926.08.13 – 1981.04.18) and Apostolic Administrator of Mi(e)nsk (Belarus) (1926.08.13 – 1981.04.18)
- Louis Anthony DeSimone, (1981.06.27 – ...), Auxiliary Bishop emeritus of Philadelphia
Kasserine is divided into 11 districts:
- El Arich
- Ennour District
- Essalem District
- Ezzouhour District
- El Bassatine District
- El Fath District
- El Karma District
- El Khadhra District
- El Manar District
- Olympic District
- Zouhour District
|Feriana||Hassi El Ferid||Hassi El Ferid|
Kasserine's most popular sport club is the AS Kasserine (football, soccer).
- Faouzia Aloui (born in 1958), a poet and fiction writer.
- Karim Haggui (born in January 20, 1984), a football defender. He currently plays for Hannover 96.
- Nassim Abdelli (born in 1997), Player en mooiboy van kasserine.
- Postal code of Kasserine, GeoPostcodes
- "Jebel Chambi" on Peakbagger.com Retrieved 1 October 2011
- (French) Recensement of 2004 (National Institute of Statistics)
- Associazione Storico-Culturale S. Agostino: "Cillium"
- Stefano Antonio Morcelli, Africa christiana, Volume I, Brescia 1816, pp. 139–140
- Pius Bonifacius Gams, Series episcoporum Ecclesiae Catholicae, Leipzig 1931, p. 465
- J. Ferron, v. Cillium, in Dictionnaire d'Histoire et de Géographie ecclésiastiques, vol. XII, Parigi 1953, coll. 831-832
- Annuario Pontificio 2013 (Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2013 ISBN 978-88-209-9070-1), p. 869
- Faouzia Aloui Profile in africultures
- (Arabic) Faouzia Aloui at Diwanalarab
- Karim Haggui at worldfootball.net