Central square of Karlovasi.
|Coordinates: 37°47′N 26°42′E / 37.783°N 26.700°ECoordinates: 37°47′N 26°42′E / 37.783°N 26.700°E|
|Administrative region||North Aegean|
|• Municipal unit||100.3 km2 (38.7 sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||9,855|
|• Municipal unit density||98/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|• Population||6,869 (2011)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Karlovasi (Greek: Καρλόβασι) is a town and a former municipality on the island of Samos, North Aegean, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Samos, of which it is a municipal unit. It is located on the northwest side of the island. According to the 2011 census, the population of the municipal unit was 9,855 inhabitants. Its land area is 100.330 km². The municipal unit shares the island of Samos with the municipal units of Vathy, Pythagoreio, and Marathokampos.
The School of Sciences of University of the Aegean is located in the town and currently there are three academic departments:
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Information and Communication Systems Engineering
- Department of Statistics and Acturial - Financial Mathematics
Karlovasi is a town with a rich history in culture and in commerce, being a flourishing tannery and tobacco manufacturing centre in the early 1900s. Many magnificent neoclassical mansions can be seen from that period as well as the remains of the large stone-built factories at the "Ormos" seaside.
As a result of the "Capodistrias" unification program, the town of Karlovasi (pop. 5,740) was the administration centre for the nearby villages of Platanos, Drakeoi, Kastania, Leka, Nikoloudes, Konteika, Kontakeika, Ydroussa and Agioi Theodoroi.
- Official website (Greek)
- School of Sciences (University of the Aegean) (Greek)
- Poseidon Hotel Kokkari Samos Greece
- Hotels and Studio Room Information Kokkari Samos Greece
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- , by the University of the Aegean