Charles Emmanuel, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg
|Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg|
5 June 1746|
|Died||23 March 1812 65)(aged|
|Spouse||Princess Leopoldina of Liechtenstein|
Victor, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg|
Klotilde, Princess of Hohenlohe-Bartenstein
|House||House of Hesse-Kassel|
|Father||Constantine of Hesse-Rotenburg|
|Mother||Sophia of Starhemberg|
Charles Emmanuel, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg (Karl Emanuel; 5 June 1746 – 23 March 1812) was landgrave of Hessen-Rotenburg between 1778 and 1812. He was named after his uncle Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia, husband of his aunt Polyxena of Hesse-Rotenburg.
He died in Frankfurt in 1812.
Marriage and issue
Karl Emanuel married Princess Leopoldina Maria Anna Francisca de Paula Adelgunda (Vienna, 30 January 1754 - Frankfurt, 16 October 1823), daughter of Franz Josef I, Prince of Liechtenstein, on 1 September 1771 in Felsberg. The couple had two children.
- Victor Amadeus (2 September 1779 - 12 November 1834) named after Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia
- Marie Adelheid Klotilde (12 September 1787 - 6 January 1869); married Prince Karl August of Hohenlohe-Bartenstein (1788–1844) named after Clothilde of France
Karl also had an illegitimate son by Lucie Juliane Struve (b. 1769), daughter of Johann Conrad Struve:
- Ernst von Blumenstein (11 February 1796 - 25 August 1875)
Karl's only descendants were from his illegitimate line.
|Ancestors of Charles Emmanuel, Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg|
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 5 June 1746 – 29 November 1749 His Serene Highness Landgrave Charles Emmanuel of Hesse-Rotenburg
- 29 November 1749 – 30 December 1778 His Serene Highness the Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Rotenburg
- 30 December 1778 – 23 March 1812 His Serene Highness the Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg
|Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg
30 December 1778 – 23 March 1812
| Succeeded by|