Location of Kareli in Georgia
|Coordinates: 42°01′28″N 43°54′4″E / 42.02444°N 43.90111°ECoordinates: 42°01′28″N 43°54′4″E / 42.02444°N 43.90111°E|
|Elevation||620 m (2,030 ft)|
|Time zone||Georgian Time (UTC+4)|
Kareli is first mentioned as a village in the 1715 documents. It was a property of the Tsitsishvili noble family. It acquired the status of a town under the Soviet government in 1981. Since 1939, it has been an administrative center of the homonymous district. As of the 2014 census, Kareli had a population of 6,654.
Kareli has a humid subtropical climate with moderately cold winters and long warm summers. The town’s environs are a home to several architectural monuments of medieval Georgia such as the churches of Zghuderi, Samtsevrisi, Ruisi, and Kintsvisi, and the fortress of Ortubani (Dzama).
- "Population Census 2014". www.geostat.ge. National Statistics Office of Georgia. November 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2016.