Saints Peter and Paul Church
|Coordinates: 53°31′55″N 17°31′43″E / 53.53194°N 17.52861°E|
|• Total||3.65 km2 (1.41 sq mi)|
|• Density||620/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
The first historical record of Kamień comes from 1107. It was a seat of a castellany during the reign of Bolesław III Wrymouth of Poland. In the thirteenth century it belonged to the Archbishop of Gniezno. It was briefly occupied by the Teutonic Knights in 1339 before reverting to Poland. In 1359 it received municipal rights from Archbishop Jarosław. Shortly after a defensive castle was built which survived until 1721.
After the First Partition of Poland in 1772, Kamień became part of Kingdom of Prussia. As part of it, the town belonged to Landkreis Flatow until 1920, when the eastern part of this Landkreis with 30,516 inhabitants (including 8,600 Poles) and the towns of Kamin, Więcbork (Vandsburg) and Sępólno Krajeńskie (Zempelburg) were transferred to the Second Polish Republic after the Treaty of Versailles. The town became part of Sępólno County. After the German Invasion of Poland Sępólno County was incorporated into Nazi Germany in 1939, and it became part of Landkreis Zempelburg. In 1945 the town was restored to Poland.
Number of inhabitants by year
- Wolfgang Bahr: Kurze Geschichte des Flatower Landes. In: Heimatbuch für den Kreis Flatow – Grenzmark Posen-Westpreußen – Provinz Pommern. Heimatkreisausschuss für den Kreis Flatow (ed.), printed by Karl Neef oHG (Wittingen), Gifhorn 1971, pp. 37-42 (in German).
- F. W. F. Schmitt: Topographie des Flatower Kreises. In: Preußische Provinzialblätter, Andere Folge, Vol. VII, Königsberg 1855, p. 116 (in German).
- Meyers Konversations-Lexikon. 6. Auflage, 10. Band, Leipzig and Vienna 1907 (in German).
- Der Große Brockhaus. 15. Auflage, 9. Band, Leipzig 1931, p. 622 (in German).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kamień Krajeński.|