|• ISO 259||Káper Báraˀ|
|• Also spelled||
Kafar Bara (official)|
Kfar Bara (unofficial)
Mosque in Kafr Bara, 2010
|Coordinates: 32°7′50″N 34°58′19″E / 32.13056°N 34.97194°ECoordinates: 32°7′50″N 34°58′19″E / 32.13056°N 34.97194°E|
|Grid position||147/170 PAL|
|• Type||Local council|
|• Total||9,387 dunams (9.387 km2 or 3.624 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||Khirbet Kafr Bara, "The ruin of the village of Bara"|
Kafr Bara or Kfar Bara (Arabic: كفر برا; Hebrew: כַּפְר בַּרָא) is an Israeli-Arab local council in Israel's Central District. The small town, located near the Green Line, is often considered a part of the Little Triangle along with Kafr Qasim and Jaljulia. In 2015 its population was 3,354.
Pottery and glass dating from the Roman period (second century CE) and early Byzantine period (fourth century and beginning of fifth century CE), have been found in a burial cave at Kafr Bara. Archaeological excavations have revealed remains, apparently from a rural settlement from the Byzantine and Early Islamic periods (sixth–ninth centuries CE).
In 1517, the village was included in the Ottoman Empire with the rest of Palestine, and in the 1596 tax-records it appeared located in the Nahiya of Jabal Qubal of the Liwa of Nablus. It had a population of 20 Muslim households, who paid taxes on wheat, barley, summercrops, and goats and/or beehives.
British Mandate era
In 1945 the population of Kafr Bara was 150, all Arabs, who owned 3,959 dunams of land according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 10 dunams were for citrus and bananas, 12 were plantations and irrigable land, 1,841 used for cereals, while 14 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
1948, and aftermath
After 1948, Kafr Bara has been part of Israel.
- "List of localities, in Alphabetical order" (PDF). Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 234
- Masarwa, 2008, Kafr Bara Final Report
- Abu Fana, 2008, Kafr Bara Final Report
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 131
- Mills, 1932, p. 59
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 75
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 126
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 176
- "לוח 3.- אוכלוסייה( 1), ביישובים שמנו מעל 2,000 תושבים( 2) ושאר אוכלוסייה כפרית Population (1) of localities numbering above 2,000 Residents (2) and other rural population". Archived from the original on 3 October 2015. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kafr Bara.|
- Abu Fana, Mohammed (2008-02-11). "Kafr Bara Final Report" (122). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Masarwa, Marwan (2008-02-11). "Kafr Bara Final Report" (120). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.