Königssee bobsleigh, luge, and skeleton track
The Königssee bobsleigh, luge, and skeleton track is a venue for bobsleigh, luge and skeleton located in Schönau am Königsee, Germany. It is located near Königssee (German for "King's Lake"). Completed in 1968, it is the first permanent, artificially refrigerated bobsleigh, luge, and skeleton track in the world.
In 1967, Königssee hosted the European luge championships on a naturally refrigerated track. Later that year, it was decided to construct a permanent, reinforced concrete structure that was artificially refrigerated. The track, initially for luge, was completed in 1968. The first international competition took place the following year with the FIL World Luge Championships On 3–4 December 1977, the track hosted the first Luge World Cup event won by Paul Hildgartner (Italy - men's singles), Andrea Fendt (West Germany - women's singles), and Italy's Peter Gschnitzer and Karl Brunner (men's doubles). Bobsleigh was added to the track in the 1970s in time for the track to host their sports' championship event in 1979, the first time any track would host both bobsleigh and luge in the same year in a non-Winter Olympic year (the track in Igls, Austria, was the first to do this at the 1976 Winter Olympics in Innsbruck). Skeleton competitions began in the late 1970s, hosting the world championships in 1990. The track was part of Salzburg, Austria's unsuccessful bid for the 2014 Winter Olympics in 2007. In October 2008, it was announced that the track would undergo a renovation project from 2010 to 2016. Costing € 21.7 million to do, the track is being done in part of Munich's bid to host the 2018 Winter Olympics. Renovation includes extending the finish line and a new building near turn 16 and is scheduled to be complete by 2012. The starting area of the track will be started on 2014 and will finish on 2016. On 28 February 2009, it was announced the track would host the 2011 FIBT World Championships after the original winner, Cortina d'Ampezzo, withdrew to issues with the city and the track. The 29th and last Luge World Cup at the track prior to renovation took place on 2–3 January 2010. Bobsleigh and Skeleton had their last World Cup prior to renovation the following weekend.
Track renovation was done during the rest of 2010. At the end of March 2010, the Turbodrom Kreisel turn caught fire following some welding work and was badly damaged. Renovation of the refrigeration plant was carried out in December 2010 with ammonia being pumped in on the 18th. Olympic champion Felix Loch made the first run on the luge part of the track on the 23rd in time for the World Cup event on 5–6 January 2011. The renovation was also done for the 2011 FIBT World Championships that took place in late February.
The track has a vertical drop of 117 metres (384 ft) from the bobsleigh perspective.
|Turn number||Name||Reason named|
|2, 3||Eiskapelle||German for "Ice chapel"|
|5, 6, 7, 8, 9||Schlangengrube/ S-Kombination||German for "Snake pit"/ S-combination in (German) (Four turns in quick succession without a straight (labyrinth))|
|13.||Turbodrom||320-degree Kreisel (circular) curve.|
|16.||Echowand||German for "Echo wall".|
|17, 18||Zielhaus||German for "Finish house".|
|Bobsleigh - two-man||Start||Switzerland||Beat Hefti & Thomas Lamparter||10 Jan 2009||4.80|
|Bobsleigh - two-man||Track||Germany||André Lange & Kevin Kuske||9 Jan 2010||49.00|
|Bobsleigh - two-woman||Start||Canada||Kaillie Humphries & Heather Moyse||9 Jan 2010||5.25|
|Bobsleigh - two-woman||Track||Germany||Cathleen Martini & Romy Logsch||9 Jan 2010||50.37|
|Bobsleigh - four-man||Start||Latvia|| Oskars Melbārdis, Helvijs Lūsis,
Arvis Vilkaste, & Jānis Strenga
|15 Jan 2012||4.77|
|Bobsleigh - four-man||Track||Germany|| André Lange, Kevin Kuske,
René Hoppe, & Alexander Metzger
|3 Feb 2008||48.38|
|Luge - men's singles||Start||Germany||(tie) - David Möller & Jan Eichhorn||6 Jan 2008||3.229|
|Luge - men's singles||Track||Russia||Albert Demtschenko||3 Jan 2010||47.049|
|Luge - women's singles||Start||Germany||Silke Kraushaar||8 Jan 2005||2.962|
|Luge - women's singles||Track||Germany||Tatjana Hüfner||5 Jan 2008||47.262|
|Luge - men's doubles||Start||Germany||Tobias Wendl & Tobias Arlt||2 Jan 2010||2.847|
|Luge - men's doubles||Track||Germany||Patric Leitner & Alexander Resch||5 Jan 2008||46.921|
|Skeleton - men||Start||Russia||Aleksandr Tretyakov||2 Feb 2008||4.56|
|Skeleton - men||Track||Germany||Frank Rommel||9 Jan 2009||47.44|
|Skeleton - women||Start||Canada||Lindsay Alcock||28 Feb 2004||4.96|
|Skeleton - women||Track||Canada||Mellisa Hollingsworth||8 Jan 2010||48.78|
- FIBT World Championships: 1979, 1986, 1990 (men's skeleton), 2004 (all bobsleigh and skeleton events), 2011
- FIL European Luge Championships: 1967 (As a natural track.), 1972, 1973, 1977, 1988, 1994
- FIL World Luge Championships: 1969, 1970, 1974, 1979, 1999
- FIL European Luge Championships men's singles results since 1914
- "Bobsleigh and Olympism." Olympic Review. December 1984. p. 1011.
- "Luge and Olympism." December 1983. p. 853.
- [http://www.fil-luge.org/News-Detail.155.0.html?&tx_ttnews[pS]=1199142000&tx_ttnews[pL]=2678399&tx_ttnews[arc]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2739&tx_ttnews[backPid]=157&cHash=66bdda12b4 No drudgery after luge festival in Thuringia.] at the Fédération Internationale de Luge de Course (30 January 2008 article accessed 2 December 2009).
- 1976 Winter Olympics official report, pp. 206–208 on the Igls track. (English), (French), and (German)
- Bobsleigh two-man world championship medalists since 1931
- FIL World Luge Championships men's single results since 1955
- FIBT men's skeleton world championships men's skeleton results since 1989
- Salzburg2014 Book 8 on bid featuring Königssee bobsleigh, luge, and track bid, pp. 51–54. (English) & (French) (dealinked)
- Track renovation announced in October 2008. - accessed 20 December 2008.
- List of proposed sports facilities to be used for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Munich, including Königssee. (German) - accessed 17 October 2009.
- [http://www.fil-luge.org/News-Detail.155.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=11117&tx_ttnews[backPid]=307&cHash=18142461f2 Last Viessmann Luge World Cup prior to Koenigsee reconstruction.] at the Fédération Internationale de Luge de Course (31 December 2009 FIL article accessed 8 January 2010.)
- [http://www.fibt.com/index.php?id=88&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=543&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=387b0ffdf3 Königssee to Host 2011 FIBT World Championship.] at the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (28 February 2009 accessed 28 February 2009.)
- [http://www.fibt.com/index.php?id=88&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1006&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=215e63f301 World Cup Action Resumes in Koeningsee.] at the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (7 January 2010 FIBT article accessed 8 January 2010.)
- [http://www.fil-luge.org/index.php?id=424&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=12103&tx_ttnews[backPid]=461&cHash=5efe536f67 Homologisation of new artificially-iced track in Koenigssee. Olympic champion Felix Loch mad the first run.] at the Fédération Internationale de Luge de Course (3 January 2011 article accessed 4 January 2011.)
- Königssee track data (German) - accessed 2012-02-19
- BSD.de track profile (German)
- Königssee track records. - accessed 20 December 2008.
- FIBT Bobsleigh World Cup Königgssee 10 January 2009 bobsleigh two-man results. - accessed 10 January 2009.
- [http://www.fibt.com/index.php?id=88&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1036&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=194db86fcd Florschuetz Takes 2-Man in Koenigssee.] at the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (9 January 2010 article accessed 9 January 2010.)
- http://www.fibt.com/index.php?id=63&event=23438&L=0 (9 January 2010 article accessed 9 January 2010.)
- [http://www.fibt.com/index.php?id=88&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1041&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=4bac581c67 Martini Sets Record, Wins Women's Bob Race.] at the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (9 January 2010 article accessed 9 January 2010.)
- FIL Luge World Cup Königssee 3 January 2010 men's singles results. - accessed 3 Jan 2010.
- FIL Luge World Cup Königssee 2 January 2010 women's singles results. - accessed 2 January 2010.
- FIL Luge World Cup Königssee 2 January 2010 doubles results. - accessed 2 January 2010.
- FIBT Skeleton World Cup Königssee World Cup 9 January 2009 men's skeleton results. - accessed 10 January 2009.
- [http://www.fibt.com/index.php?id=88&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1016&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=2fe0063ed9 Hollingsworth Sets Record, Wins in Koenigssee.] at the Fédération Internationale de Bobsleigh et de Tobogganing (8 January 2010 FIBT article accessed 8 January 2010.)
- BSD profile (German)
- FIBT track profile - Click on video link for track. To left is where bobsleigh intersects with men's single luge part of track, then followed right after with luge - women's singles, luge - women's doubles, and skeleton parts of the track.
- FIL-Luge.org track profile
- Official website (German)
- Youtube.com profile of American luger Brian Martin from the men's singles luge start house.