Born in 1841, he was educated at Chesterfield Grammar School and St John's College, Cambridge. Ordained in 1865 he held curacies in Cambridge before holding incumbencies at Horningsea and Newark. In 1880 he became Bishop of Newcastle (Australia), a post he held for a decade. Returning to England he became Vicar of Leck, Lancashire. He died in 1895.
- Bishops of Newcastle, NSW
- University of Newcastle, NSW
- ADB on-line
- "Pearson, Josiah Brown (PR860JB)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Who was Who 1987-1990: London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1975-76 London: Oxford University Press, 1976 ISBN 0-19-200008-X
- British History On Line
- Obituary For 1895 The Times Wednesday, Jan 01, 1896; pg. 11; Issue 34775; col A
- Mennell, Philip (1892). " Pearson, Right Rev. Josiah Brown". The Dictionary of Australasian Biography. London: Hutchinson & Co. Wikisource
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Newcastle (Australia)
| Succeeded by|