John Williams (ship)
|Namesake:||The missionary John Williams|
|Owner:||London Missionary Society|
|Operator:||London Missionary Society|
|Launched:||Harwich, 20 March 1844|
|Fate:||Wrecked in May 1864, Pukapuka, Cook Islands|
|Notes:||10 state rooms|
|Length:||103 ft (31 m)|
|Beam:||24 ft 8 in (7.52 m)|
|Depth of hold:||16 ft (4.9 m)|
John Williams was a missionary ship under the command of Captain Robert Clark Morgan (1798–1864) and owned by the London Missionary Society (LMS). She was named after John Williams (1796–1839), a missionary who had been active in the South Pacific. She sank in 50 fathoms after drifting onto a reef at Danger Island (Pukapuka) on 16 May 1864. The passengers and crew were rescued.
John Williams was launched at Harwich on 20 March 1844. She was of 296 tons and had a length of 103 feet (31 meters) and beam of 24 feet 8 inches (7.52 meters). The depth of her hold was 16 feet (4.9 meters). She had 10 state rooms. A medal was issued commemorating her first three-year voyage and an example of this is held at the Royal Museum of Greenwich.
- "TOTAL WRECK OF THE JOHN WILLIAMS, MISSIONARY BARQUE.". Queanbeyan Age and General Advertiser (NSW : 1860 - 1867). NSW: National Library of Australia. 11 August 1864. p. 2 Edition: EVENING. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Powerhouse Museum. "H4686 Ship model, SS "John Williams IV", London Missionary Society steamer". Powerhouse Museum, Australia. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Commemorative medal depicting the 'John Williams' Missionary ship". Royal Museum Greenwich.
- Prout, Ebenezer (1865). Missionary ships connected with the London missionary society