John P. Cahill
John P. Cahill was the Secretary and Chief of Staff to New York Governor George E. Pataki and Development Chief of Lower Manhattan. He ran as the Republican candidate in the 2014 New York Attorney General election.
From 1997 to 2001, Cahill served as the Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Conservation where he led the State agency with 3,000 employees and a $500 million annual budget. His responsibilities included enhancing and protecting the State's vast natural resources and the successful implementation of the 1996 $1.75-billion Clean Water Air Bond Act, a landmark piece of legislation. Cahill also led the State's efforts to preserve over one million acres of open space. Prior to this, he was the General Counsel to the Department of Environmental Conservation and had been a partner at the law firm of Plunkett & Jaffe, P.C., a firm focused on environmental and government law.
From 2002 through 2006, Cahill served as the Chief of Staff to the Governor of New York State. In this role, he was responsible for running all aspects of the state government and was the highest-ranking appointed official in New York State Government.
In May 2005, Cahill was also given the primary responsibility for the coordination of the rebuilding efforts in lower Manhattan. Prior to his appointment as Chief of Staff, Cahill served as the Senior Policy Advisor to the Governor where he helped lead the effort on behalf of the state's response to the September 11 attacks in 2001. He was responsible for negotiations with the state legislature, and was the Governor's point of contact with the White House, Congress and federal agencies.
- Principal at the Pataki Cahill Group
- Counsel at Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Board Member at National September 11 Memorial and Museum
- Secretary to the Governor at Office of the Governor- NY
- Senior Advisor to the Governor at Office of the Governor
- Commissioner at New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- General Counsel at New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Partner at Plunkett & Jaffe, P.C.
The Pataki Cahill Group June 2007 – present
Chadbourne & Parke LLP Partnership; 501-1000 employees; Law Practice industry March 2007 – present
- Board Member
National September 11 Memorial and Museum 2006 – present
- Secretary to the Governor
Office of the Governor- NY 2001 – 2007 (6 years)
- Senior Advisor to the Governor
Office of the Governor February 2001 – February 2002 (1 year 1 month)
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation January 1997 – February 2001 (4 years 2 months)
- General Counsel
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation November 1995 – January 1997 (1 year 3 months)
- "John P Cahill's Overview". LinkedIn. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- John Cahill For Attorney General
- Project Rebirth: Who's Who; John P. Cahill
- New York State Press Release: Cahill Named Secretary to the Governor