Joel 2:25 International
"I will restore to you the years which the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter." - Joel 2:25
P.O. Box 795471Dallas, Texas 75379
|Services||network of in-person and online support groups, video-conferencing, and referrals|
|English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Farsi, Polish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Croatian, Macedonian, Japanese, and Chinese|
|Mission||"As a Christian community, we proactively engage and affirm men and women throughout the world who experience same-sex attraction, providing ongoing prayerful support that encourages relational healing, sexual sobriety, and spiritual growth."|
Joel 2:25 International is a non-profit ministry organization providing a network of support groups for individuals in the ex-gay movement. Joel 2:25 Internationals holds local in-person meetings in Dallas, Texas and other major US cities as well as daily, weekly, and monthly video-conferences with 27 groups consisting of individual participants from 92 countries.
The organization provides ongoing encouragement and ministry support for men, women, youth, and families with resources and groups meeting in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Macedonian, Arabic, Urdu, Farsi, Chinese, and Japanese.
On a monthly basis, Joel 2:25 hosts guest speakers for in-depth topics from ministry, emotional healing, and reparative Therapy. Guest speakers have included Joseph Nicolosi of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH) and other leaders from the Restored Hope Network, and the International Healing Foundation. The organization began as a local support group in Dallas, Texas but quickly grew through video-conferencing and social media. Joel 2:25 International, Inc. was incorporated in the state of Texas on November 26, 2013 as a non-profit organization.
Purpose of the Name "Joel 2:25"
"I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter. The great army sent among you."
The organization selected this name "Joel 2:25" because the verse describes healing and restoration. The organization's website states:
"In Joel 2:25, "The hopper, the destroyer, the great cutter, and great army” depict successive waves of scourge after scourge. They did not all come in one year, or two years, but year after year as it states in the plural 'Years.' They destroyed not only one crop, but they completely ate up all buds and seedlings; leaving a barren wasteland that could only be restored with Super-natural intervention. For many of us, the relational wounds and brokenness underlying homosexuality have destroyed multiple years and caused relational wounds that made recovery and healthy affirmation difficult to take-in. God’s promise in Joel 2:25 implies a 'recompense.' He can give us fruitful YEARS as a compensation for those in which the locust ate up the fruits of the earth. This means far more than sexual sobriety and abstinence. It is a healing of emotional wounds and relational brokenness; development of true identity as men of God, fulfillment of needs, and multiple fruitful years of mission and purpose that lead to Joy."
Joel 2:25 International supports individual freedom of conscience for all, but believes that sexual purity is a life and death matter. In this regard, the organization differs from the theological views of Alan Chambers, the former leader of Exodus International
"Sexual holiness for Christians matters to such an extent that living an unrepentant sexually immoral life can get even self-professed Christians excluded from the kingdom of God. ( Matt 5:29-30; John 8:11 with 5:14; 1 Thess 4:3-8; Gal 5:19-21; 1 Cor 5; 6:9-10, 13-20; 2 Cor 12:21; Rom 1:23-32; Col 3:5-7; Eph 4:19; 5:3-6; 1 Tim 1:9-11.) Some Christian theologians would say that this may mean that such persons were never true Christians to begin with. Others would explain that it may mean that such persons have fallen away from a once genuine faith. Either way, all orthodox Christian theologians would agree that a life committed to unrepentant, sexual immorality is evidence of a life not lived by saving faith. (Matt 5:29-30; 7:16-27; Mark 4:16-19; John 15:1-6; Rom 8:12-14; Gal 6:7-9; Heb 10:26-29; James 2:14-26; 2 Pet 2:18-21; 1 John 1:6-7; 2:3-6, 15, 29; 3:6-10, 14-20, 24; 5:18; Rev 2:4-17, 20-23, 26; 3:1-3, 5.)''
Joel 2:25 International received increased media attention and scrutiny when it was revealed that the organization's founder, Jeremy Schwab, had authored the platform amendment for the 2014 Republican Party of Texas platform to protect the right of access to reparative therapy.
Joel 2:25 International itself is a public charity and does not take positions on political parties, candidates, or issues. Schwab issued personal statements in defense of the platform plank on television and in his personal blog and was also defended by other activists and organizations such as Focus on the Family, Daryl L. Foster, of the Gay Christian Movement Watch, and Texas Values.
While Joel 2:25 International is not officially a "member" ministry of any network, it has received encouragement and public support from a variety of organizations, including: PATH (Positive Alternative to Homosexuality), the International Healing Foundation, and Homosexuals Anonymous. Many of Joel 2:25's participants and group leaders are also very active in other organizations such as Courage International, People Can Change, and the Restored Hope Network.
Joel 2:25 International works with individuals and small groups with resources and ongoing video-conference groups in English, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, Japanese, Urdu, German, Ukrainian, French, Macedonian, Russian, Croatian, and Farsi.
Joel 2:25 International has also worked closely with a variety of evangelistic ministries outside of the United States. In July 2014, Joel 2:25's founder participated in an hour long Christian television broadcast to Iran in Farsi via satellite through Iran Alive Ministries.
- Christianity and homosexuality
- Homosexuality and Roman Catholicism
- Ministry to Persons with a Homosexual Inclination
- Sexual orientation change efforts
- "Exempt Organizations Select Check". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Holy Bible, Book of Joel, verse 2:25
- "Joel 2:25 International - Beliefs about Christianity and Homosexuality". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Brittany Martin, "Texas Republicans’ backing puts spotlight on therapy for gays", Dallas Morning News, 06/20/2014 "Texas Republicans' backing puts spotlight on therapy for gays - Dallas Morning News". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- John Wright, "Meet the Ex-Gay Man Behind the Texas GOP’s Reparative Therapy Plank", Texas Observer, 06/11/2014 "Meet the Ex-Gay Man Behind the Texas GOP's Reparative Therapy Plank - The Texas Observer". The Texas Observer. Retrieved 8 September 2014. C1 control character in
|title=at position 10 (help)
- James Withers, "Ex-gay advocate defends Texas Republican support of conversion therapy", Gay Star News, 06/22/2014
- Bud Kennedy, "Texas GOP’s ‘gay therapy’ stand misunderstood, author says", Fort Worth Star Telegram, 06/10/2014"Texas GOP's 'gay therapy' stand misunderstood, author says - Bud Kennedy...". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Comment: Banning 'ex-gay' therapy would only hurt people who want to change · PinkNews.co.uk". PinkNews.co.uk. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- WFAA Staff, 5:31 p.m. CDT June 20, 2014 (20 June 2014). "Reparative therapy platform plank misunderstood, Republican delegate says". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Joel Admin. "My Journey: Texas GOP Reparative Therapy Platform Plank". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Kim Trobee, "Texas GOP Platform Supports Change Therapy", Citizen Link, 06/10/2014 "Texas GOP Platform Supports Change Therapy - CitizenLink". CitizenLink. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Jonathan M. Saenz, "Texas: The Truth about Reparative Therapy in the RPT Platform", Citizen Link, 06/12/2014 "Texas: The Truth about 'Reparative Therapy' in the RPT Platform - CitizenLink". CitizenLink. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Why Texas Matters: Affirming Therapy Equality a necessary protection for EXLGBT Americans « Voice of the Voiceless". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Why Texas Matters: Affirming Therapy Equality a necessary protection for EXLGBT Americans - Gay Christian Movement Watch". Gay Christian Movement Watch. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Supporting Freedom: The truth about Reparative Therapy in the RPT Platform - Texas Values". Texas Values. Retrieved 8 September 2014. C1 control character in
|title=at position 37 (help)
- "PATH". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Links". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Same-Sex Attraction (SSA) Healing Resources and Support - Joel 2:25 International". Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Message to Iranians with Same-Sex Attraction (SSA) - Farsi - YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 8 September 2014.