Jewish Broadcasting Service
|Jewish Broadcasting Service|
|Launched||August 31, 2006|
Celebrating Jewish CultureTelevision Worth Watching
|Broadcast area||North America|
|Headquarters||Fort Lee, NJ|
|Formerly called||Shalom TV|
Jewish Broadcasting Service, formerly known as Shalom TV until September 24, 2014, is a non-profit national Jewish television network. JBS programming includes daily news reports from Israel, live event coverage and analysis, and cultural programming of interest to the North American Jewish community. The network is a full-time HD and SD Channel. It is an English-language PBS style Jewish-oriented network and is a non-profit organization produced by Jewish Education in Media (JEM) (not to be confused with Jewish Educational Media, an archive responsible for distributing video and audio material of the Lubavitcher Rebbe and the Lubavitch movement.)
Shalom TV was founded by Rabbi Mark S. Golub in 2003 and began telecasting on August 31, 2006. In 2008, Comcast launched Shalom TV On Demand nationally. The On Demand version of Shalom TV expanded to more than 20 video distributors available to more than 40 million homes throughout North America.
In May 2012 Shalom TV announced the launch of its own Roku channel. On December 7, 2012, Optimum Cable (Cablevision) launched the Shalom TV Channel.
In September 2016, JBS became available nationally as a channel on DirecTV.
Programs on JBS are intended to reflect the diversity and pluralism of the North American Jewish population. Programs includes:
- Daily newscasts from the Israel Broadcasting Authority.
- Live late breaking stories and programs with viewer call-ins.
- Live Friday evening services.
- Public affairs events
- American, Israeli and Yiddish films
- Roundtable discussions of issues in the world Jewish community.
- Jewish Studies programs including the teaching of Hebrew and commentary on basic tenets of Judaism.
- Children's programs.
- 92nd Street Y presentations
- Israeli and American Jewish cultural shows
- Interviews with important Jewish persons.
- Israel travel documentaries.
- High Holiday services and original series.
- From Date to Mate, an original series for Jewish singles, a mockumentary about the urban dating scene.
- The Wisdom of Ruth Westheimer, an original television series featuring Ruth Westheimer, sex therapist, media personality, and author.
- Shalom TV to Ring in JBS Name Change
- Kristin E. Holmes, "New cable channel says 'Shalom': Shalom TV hopes a focus on Jewish culture as well as religion will draw a wide audience.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 23, 2006.
- FIRST "PBS STYLE" JEWISH TELEVISION CHANNEL NOW AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT AMERICA
- "Stamford rabbi launches Jewish-American TV network", The Hour, January 2, 2013.
- Nora Naughton, "Stamford rabbi’s TV network goes national", Stamford Advocate, September 26, 2016.
- Shalom TV Channel
- View memorable moments from 92nd Street Y's Jewish programs on Shalom TV, the first Jewish TV cable channel in America.
- JMatch Dating Drama Comes To Life on Tube
- Dr. Ruth is terug
- JBS: Find Us