Jerusalem's Church, Copenhagen
The church seen from Rigensgade
|55°41′19.87″N 12°35′1.94″E / 55.6888528°N 12.5838722°ECoordinates: 55°41′19.87″N 12°35′1.94″E / 55.6888528°N 12.5838722°E|
|Architect(s)||Ferdinand Vilhelm Jensen|
The first Methodist congregation in Denmark was founded on 11 January 1859 and was based in rented rooms in Store Kongensgade. The congregation grew rapidly and funds were raised for a new church which was completed in 1866 to designs by Ferdinand Vilhelm Jensen. The church was known as St. Paul's Church until 1894 when that name was taken over by the nearby St. Paul's Church. It was then called St. Mark's Church until 1912 when it received its current name.
The church was destroyed in a fire in 1914. It was subsequently rebuilt by Jens Christian Kofoed and reinaugurated the following year.
The Jerusalem Church contains an organ built in 1916. It was restored in 1982-84, and is considered one of the best organs in Denmark from before World War II.
- The side with the main entrance on Rigensgade
- The side on Stokhusgade
- The church office from 1866
- The wall with the gate to the right of the church
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jerusalemskirken (Copenhagen).|