Japanese gunboat Banjō
Japanese gunboat Banjō in 1889
|Empire of Japan|
|Builder:||Yokosuka Naval Arsenal|
|Laid down:||1 February 1877|
|Launched:||16 July 1878|
|Commissioned:||5 July 1880|
|Decommissioned:||12 July 1907|
|Struck:||23 May 1911|
|Displacement:||656 long tons (667 t)|
|Length:||47.7 m (156 ft)|
|Beam:||7.7 m (25 ft 3 in)|
|Draught:||3.7 m (12 ft 2 in)|
|Speed:||10.0 knots (11.5 mph; 18.5 km/h)|
|Range:||107 tons coal|
Banjō was a metal-hulled three-masted wooden-hulled gunboat with a double-expansion reciprocating steam engine with four rectangular boilers driving one screw. Her design was based on the basic outlines of the foreign-designed Amagi, but Banjō built in Japan at the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal and was the fourth vessel to be completed at that shipyard. Her first captain was Lieutenant Commander Tsuboi Kōzō.
Banjō was removed from the active list on 12 July 1907 and was struck from the navy list on 25 May 1911. She was demilitarized and sold on 23 April 1912 to the Niigata Prefectural Commercial High School in Niigata, Japan for use as a training vessel. Her eventual fate is unknown.
- Chesneau, All the World’s Fighting Ships, p. 236.
- Jentsura, Hansgeorg (1976). Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-893-X. page 111
- Nishida, Ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy
- Chesneau, Roger and Eugene M. Kolesnik (editors), All The World's Fighting Ships 1860-1905, Conway Maritime Press, 1979 reprinted 2002, ISBN 0-85177-133-5
- Jentsura, Hansgeorg (1976). Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-893-X.
- Nishida, Hiroshi. "Materials of IJN". Imperial Japanese Navy. Retrieved 2007-08-03.