Jagapati Babu at the 62nd Filmfare Awards South ceremony held in Nehru Stadium, Chennai.
Veeramachaneni Jagapati Rao Chowdary|
12 February 1961
|Residence||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Height||181 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Parent(s)||V. B. Rajendra Prasad|
Jagapati Babu pronunciation (born Veeramachaneni Jagapati Rao Chowdary) is an Indian film actor known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema, few Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam films. In a career spanning 25 years, Jagapati Babu has starred in over 120 feature films, and has received 2 Filmfare Awards and 7 state Nandi Awards.
He received the Kala Bhushana Award, for his contribution to cinema, by TSR Lalitha kala Parishat. He has worked with noted directors like K. Raghavendra Rao, A. M. Rathnam, Ram Gopal Varma, Krishna Vamsi, S.V. Krishna Reddy, E. V. V. Satyanarayana, Guna Sekhar, Radha Mohan, Chandra Sekhar Yeleti, M. Raja, and J. D. Chakravarthy.
Jagapati Babu made his debut in Telugu with the movie Simha Swapnam(1989) which was produced by his father and directed by V. Madhusudhan Rao. His first blockbuster film is Peddarikam released in 1992. He had his breakthrough in the form of Gaayam directed by Ram Gopal Varma in the year 1993. In 1994, with the super hit film Subha Lagnam, he reaches family audience and also established his star status. He won the Nandi Award for Best Actor in 1996 for his role in the movie Maavichiguru directed by S V Krishna Reddy.
1997 saw runway hit films like Subhakankshalu & Pelli Pandiri. In 1998, he won the Nandi Award for Best Supporting Actor for the film Antahpuram. In 2000, he won the Nandi Best Actor Award for his performance in the thriller Manoharam. In 2003-05, he did runway hit films like Kabbadi Kabbadi,Athade Oka Sainyam, Pedababu and Anukokunda Oka Roju. In 2006 he appeared in Samanyadu and Pellaina Kottalo. He received the Nandi Best Supporting Actor Award for the second time in the year 2007 for his role in the movie Lakshyam & he won Filmfare also.
His first Tamil was Madrasi, and in 2011, he appeared as the antagonist in Tamil film Thaandavam. Subsequently, he played the lead role in Jai Bolo Telangana, which won five Nandi Awards. In 2012, he debuted in the Kannada film Bachchan as a cop, which featured Sudeep in the lead role. In 2013, Jagapati Babu returned to the Tamil film industry with Puthagam and will next be seen in Rudhiram. Jagapati Babu is now doing a Malayalam film Pulimurugan with National Award winner Mohanlal. His next movie was Legend, where he played the antagonist against Nandamuri Balakrishna.
- 1993 - Best Actor - Gaayam
- 1996 - Best Actor -Maavichiguru
- 2000 - Best Actor - Manoharam
- 1998 - Best Supporting Actor - Antahpuram
- 2007 - Best Supporting Actor - Lakshyam
- 1989 - Special Jury - Adavilo Abhimanyudu
- SIIMA Awards
- 2015 - Best Villain - Legend
- 2015 - Best Supporting Actor - Srimanthudu
- Jagapathi Babu in Vikram's next - The Hindu
- TSR LKP award for Jagapathi Babu - The Hindu
- Jagapati babu gets Kala Bhushana..!! Famlily hero awarded Kala Bhushana!!
- The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Visakhapatnam News : Adhineta inspired me, says Jagapathi Babu
- ‘I could not make a good movie for my son’ - The Hindu
- "Title". TeluguCinema.
- "Mohanlal film Puli Murugan has Jagapathi Babu in key role ?". Onlookers Media.
- "Winners list: 62nd Britannia Filmfare Awards (South)". The Times of India. 27 June 2015. Archived from the original on 27 June 2015. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jagapati Babu.|