header section from: jweekly.com
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
j., also known as Jweekly, is a weekly print newspaper in Northern California. It is owned and operated by San Francisco Jewish Community Publications Inc. It is based in San Francisco, California. who also own and operate the companion website jweekly.com.
It began publishing as a San Francisco newspaper named The Emanu-El on December 22, 1895, and in 1932 it merged with the Jewish Journal, a competing Jewish newspaper. In 1946, following a merger, it changed its name to the Jewish Community Bulletin, in 1979 it was renamed the San Francisco Jewish Bulletin, in 1984 it was renamed the Northern California Jewish Bulletin, and in 2003 it was renamed j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California.
Editor and coverage
Sue Fishkoff is its editor, and Steve Gellman is publisher. Marc S. Klein was the editor and publisher emeritus, having retired in September 2011 after nearly 28 years at the helm. Nora Contini retired as associate publisher in the summer of 2013. J. serves 20,000 homes in Northern California.
The newspaper "covers what it means to be Jewish today — from politics to the arts, religion and food, as well as spirituality, life-cycle events and our, local, national and global community." Dan Pine is one of the major writers, covering local political issues, campus events and controversies, and other topic.
- "About Us". Jweekly. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Contact Us". Jweekly. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- The Advocate: America's Jewish journal. 1909. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- California. Legislature. Senate (1899). Journal of the Senate of the State of California. State Printing Office. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Guide to the Emanu-El Congregation, San Francisco Records, 1849–1995" (PDF). Online Archive of California. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- Irwin, Mary Ann (August 2005). ""The Air is Becoming Full of War": Jewish San Francisco and World War I". Pacific Historical Review. 74 (3): 331–366. doi:10.1525/phr.2005.74.3.331. JSTOR 4492410.
- About this Newspaper: The Jewish community bulletin – Chronicling America. The Library of Congress. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- Kate Shvetsky (1997). "San Francisco Jewish Elite: America's Leading Anti-Zionists". FoundSF. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Jewish Community Relations Council". JCRC. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Western Jewish newspaper collection, 1860–2008". WorldCat. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Saul White papers, 1931–1983". Online Archive of California. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "SF State in the News 2003". 2003. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "J. The Jewish News Weekly of Northern California Debuts; Contemporary Magazine Format Replaces Jewish Bulletin to Reach More Bay Area Jews". September 18, 2003. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- "Contact Us: Staff List". Jweekly. Retrieved March 19, 2011.