External view of the monastery.
Location within Mount Athos
|Full name||Monastery of Iviron|
formerly Georgian Orthodox Church |
now Patriarchate of Constantinople
|Established||between 980-983 AD|
|Dedicated to||Dormition of the Theotokos|
|Founder(s)||John the Iberian and Tornikios|
|Prior||Archimandrite Elder Nathanael|
|Important associated figures||George of Athos, Tornikios, John the Iberian, Euthymius of Athos|
|Location||Mount Athos, Greece|
|Coordinates||40°14′44″N 24°17′05″E / 40.2455°N 24.2848°E|
|Public access||Men only|
Monastery of Iviron or Iveron (Georgian: ივერთა მონასტერი, iverta monast'eri; Greek: Μονή Ιβήρων, Monḗ Ibḗrōn) is an Eastern Orthodox monastery at the monastic state of Mount Athos in northern Greece.
The monastery was built under the supervision of two Georgian monks, John the Iberian and Tornike Eristavi between 980-983 and housed Georgian clergy and priests. Iveron literally means "of the Iberians" in Greek. The name Iviron originated from the ancient Georgian Kingdom of Iberia (Iveria) where the master architect of the monastery Ioannes was from.
The monastery ranks third in the hierarchy of the Athonite monasteries. The monastery library contains 2,000 manuscripts, 15 liturgical scrolls, and 20,000 books in Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, and Latin.
The monastery has the relics of more canonized saints than any other on Mount Athos. The Panagia Portaitissa, a famous 9th century icon, is also located at Iviron.
The monastery has about 30 working monks and novices, none of whom are Georgian. However, there are forty or so Georgian hermits living in hermitages near the monastery.
- Tornikios (died 985)
- John the Iberian (died c. 1002)
- Euthymius of Athos (c. 955-1028)
- George the Hagiorite (1009-1065)