Irish general election, 1943
|Percentage of seats gained by each of the three major parties, and number of seats gained by smaller parties and independents.|
The Irish general election of 1943 was held on 23 June 1943. The 138 newly elected members of the 11th Dáil assembled on 1 July when the new Taoiseach and government were appointed. Fianna Fáil remained in power, but had lost their parliamentary majority.
The general election took place in 34 parliamentary constituencies throughout Ireland for 138 seats in the lower house of parliament, Dáil Éireann. The election was fought while the Emergency Powers Act 1939 was still in force.
|Party||Leader||Seats||±|| % of
| First Pref
|Fianna Fáil||Éamon de Valera||67||–10||48.6||557,525||41.9||–10.0|
|Fine Gael||W. T. Cosgrave||32||–13||23.2||307,490||23.1||–10.2|
|Labour Party||William Norton||17||+8||12.3||208,812||15.7||+5.7|
|Clann na Talmhan||Michael Donnellan||10||New||7.2||130,452||9.8||–|
|Monetary Reform Party||Oliver J. Flanagan||1||New||0.7||4,377||0.3||–|
|Córas na Poblachta||Simon Donnelly||0||New||0||3,892||0.3||–|
|Ailtirí na hAiséirghe||0||New||0||3,137||0.2||–|
- Fianna Fáil minority government formed.
First time TDs
- Liam Cosgrave
- Frank Daly
- Michael Donnellan
- Michael Hilliard
- James Kilroy
- Martin O'Sullivan
- Leo Skinner
- Dan Spring
- Richard Stapleton
- Patrick Finucane
- Eamonn Cooney (Lost seat)
- Thomas Dowdall (Deceased)
- Daniel Hogan (Lost seat)
- Henry McDevitt (Retired)
- Thomas Mullen (Retired)
- John Munnelly (Deceased)
- Frank Loughman (Lost seat)
- Peter O'Loghlen (Lost seat)
- Laurence Walsh (Lost seat)
- Richard Walsh (Lost seat)
- ↑ "11th Dáil 1943 General Election". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 26 April 2009.
- ↑ "Dáil elections since 1918". ARK Northern Ireland. Retrieved 26 April 2009.
- ↑ Manning (1972) notes that the Clann na Talmhan figure is often listed in error as 14, due to the inclusion of Independent Farmer TDs in the CnaT total.
- ↑ Nohlen, D & Stöver, P (2010) Elections in Europe: A data handbook, pp1009-1017 ISBN 978-3-8329-5609-7
- Manning, Maurice, 1972. Irish Political Parties: An Introduction. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan. ISBN 978-0-7171-0536-6
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 9/17/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.