Irish Recorded Music Association
|Services||Media attention, direct-appeal campaigns, research|
|Sean Murtagh (Anti-Piracy Dept), Alex Callow (IRMA Membership), Willie Kavanagh (Chairman IRMA), Pat Creed (Warner Music Ireland), Mark Crossingham (Universal Music Ireland), Annette Donnelly (Sony Music Ireland) & Peter Kenny (RMG)|
Goals and activities
- On 12 June 2013, IRMA secured an Order of the High Court to block access to The Pirate Bay to all Irish internet users in the Republic of Ireland.
- IRMA operates to promote and protect the welfare and interests of the Irish record industry. Specifically, IRMA is involved in lobbying to protect and enhance the interest of member companies and lobby to prevent illegal downloading of music content from local and international artists.
- In the past IRMA have organised "The IRMA Honours," an awards ceremony which honours the life work of Ireland's leading musicians and people who have influenced the Irish music industry. Past recipients include Bob Geldof, Larry Gogan and Christy Moore.
- IRMA also compile and manage the official music charts for the Republic of Ireland. These include: Top 100 Albums, Top 100 Singles, Top 10 Classical Albums, Top 10 Dance Singles, Top 20 Multi-Artist Compilation Albums, Top 30 Videos, Top 20 DVDs and Top 10 Music DVDS.
- On 12 April 2005, the association began to take legal action against "serial filesharers" in the Republic of Ireland who illegally distribute music on the Internet. On 15 November 2005, the IRMA began "Phase II" of its plan to battle filesharing.
- Only Irish companies can become members of the IRMA. All members pay a yearly fee based on company size. Currently, the IRMA has 51 member companies.
- In the mid-1990s IRMA presented the IRMA Music Awards. These have been replaced by the annual music awards show Meteor Ireland Music Awards.
IRMA and Eircom reached an agreement over file sharing which uses a third-party organisation to monitor Eircom users for downloading of infringing music. The agreed system was reported to use a "three-strikes-and-you're-out" system. The agreement was criticised by Digital Rights Ireland and IrelandOffline.
The association sent solicitors' letters to several organisations, including hosting service Blacknight Solutions, whose MD, Michele Neylon, made the copy sent to his company publicly available on the company site. Although Blacknight Solutions isn't an ISP they still received the letter, which stated in the event of a positive response to this letter it is proposed to make practical arrangements with Blacknight of a like nature to those made with eircom.
Board member companies
- Warner Music Ireland
- Universal Music Ireland
- Sony Music Ireland (formerly Sony BMG Ireland)
- IML Irish Music Licensing Ltd
- Faction Records
The IRMA trust
In 1997 the IRMA set up a trust with Phonographic Performance (Ireland) Limited, with the aim to enhance the opportunities for young people who want to pursue a career in music. The trust's main initiative is the Instrument Bank, which provides music instruments to young people, particularly to young people who live in disadvantaged communities throughout Ireland.
- Record industry
- List of albums certified by the Irish Recorded Music Association
- List of artists who reached number one in Ireland
- List of songs that reached number one on the Irish Singles Chart
- "IRMA - About Us". irma.ie.
- "High Court Gives Irish ISPs 30 Days To Block The Pirate Bay". TorrentFreak.
- "Is censorship the order of the day in protecting the music industry?". Independent.ie.
- ">> IRMA << Welcome to our site >>". irma.ie.
- Specialists to police music downloads, John Collins, The Irish Times, 6 February 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- Lobby group calls for stop to censorship plans, Marie Boran, Silicon Republic, 26 February 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- "IRMA warning letter goes public", Ralph Averbuch, ENN.ie, 26 February 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- "Music industry pushing for internet filtering as well as 'three strikes' – what can you do about it?"
- "IRMA - About Us". IRMA. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- Official website
- IRMA Irish Charts Website
- GFK Chart-Track
- Sony Music Ireland
- EMI Music Ireland
- Warner Music Ireland
- Independent Records
- Reekus Records
- RMG Chart Entertainment