|Municipality and town|
Payammal Shathrugna Temple
|Nickname(s): Varadanangalude Nadu (വരദാനങ്ങളുടെ നാട്)|
Location in Kerala, India
|Coordinates: 10°20′N 76°14′E / 10.33°N 76.23°ECoordinates: 10°20′N 76°14′E / 10.33°N 76.23°E|
|• Body||Irinjalakuda Municipal Council|
|• Total||33.57 km2 (12.96 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (4,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
According to Hindu mythology, Irinjalakuda was created by sage Parasurama. According to Keralolpatthi, out of the 64 gramas (villages) established in Kerala( Out of these 32 Malayala Gramas & one Thulu grama viz.Manjeswaram are in the present Kerala and 31 Thulu Gramas in the coastal Karnataka.), Irinjalakuda was the head of some of them. Irinjalakuda was one of the most prominent among these Gramas(village societies).Boundaries of this grama extends up to Potta in the east and Kakkathuruthi in the west. Like the other Gramas this 'Grama' also followed Sankara Smruthi(a modified form of the 'Chathurvarnia' system of society with some Kerala model variations which lay upon caste system based on the 'Manusmruthi').
The name Irinjalakuda has been derived from "Iru" and "Chaal", meaning two streams. According to another legend, the origin of the name Irinjalakuda came from 'Irinjalikoodal'. 'Koodal' simply means merge, merging of two rivers.So it shows that Irinjalakuda may have gradually developed, from 'Irinjalikoodal', that derived from 'Inangikoodal', means merge. At present there is no river in Irinjalakuda, only the myth of river.
In the last decade of the 18th Century the last Naduvazhi Nambiar of Mukundapuram Nadu(Murija Nadu) died and Sakthan Thampuran, the Ruler of Kochi formed Mukundapuram taluk by adding Mapranam Nadu and parts of Nandilathu Nadu to Mukundapuram Nadu(Muriya Nadu).Sakthan Thampuran divided old Mukundapuram Taluk into six Proverties viz.1) Thazhekkad 2) Areepalam, 3)Mukundapuram(Nadavarambu) 4) Mapranam 5)Palathungal(Nellayi)6)Pudukkad for administrative and revenue purposes .Five more proverties were added to Mukundapuram Taluk afterwards.They are Kodassery(Chalakudy),Thirumukkulam(Kuzhur)),Koratty(Adur),Pathinettarayalam (Edavilangu) and Malayattur.
Another legend suggests that the origin of the name Irinjalakuda were heard, "Irunnu Salayil Koodai", and "Virinja Alu Kuda". There is a huge Banyan tree still standing in the centre of the Irinjalakuda spreading the branches to the sky like an umbrella. Tippu Sulthan's Army was based at Thazhekkad Proverty of Mukundapuram Taluk on 24 December 1789 to attack the Nedumkotta which is situated in the middle of Kochi Kingdom and was known as Travancore lines and attacked KonurKottavathil in January 1790. Before the arrival of Tipu Sulthan to Mukundapuram Taluk in December1789 the headquarters of Padruado Archbishops of Cranganore(Kodungallur)of Syro-Indian Christians(Nazranis) was at Pookkatt(Aripalam) .(See Varthamanapusthakam of Paremakkal Thoma Kathanar,Gobernador and ArchaDeacon of late Eighteenth century). Sakthan Thampuran brought four Christian families for improving commerce and trade to the place known as ‘Chanthappura’. When they struck gold in this field, more of this community migrated from Kombara chantha and settled in the area and now it became one of the strongholds of this community. Besides Hindu and Christian communities this area consists of Muslims.
A prominent Kerala mathematician-astronomer Madhava (Mādhava) who founded the Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics was from(Irinjalappilly, Aloor) Sangamagrama (Saṅgamagrāma), a town in medieval Kerala believed to be the town of Irinjalakuda. Nagapattinam Chandrashekhara Vasanthakokilam a carnatic singer and actress, was born as Kamakshi in Irinjalakkuda, Cochin State of British India, the present Kerala.
As of 2011 India census, Irinjalakuda had a population of 51,585. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Irinjalakuda has an average literacy rate of 96% which is much higher than the national average of 74.65%. While male literacy stands at 97.12%, female literacy is 94.56%. 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
In the 18th century, the ruler of Kingdom of Cochin, Sakthan Thampuran, brought four Christian families for improving commerce and trade to the place known as 'Chanthappura' (in between Nada& Tana) in Irinjalakuda. Economic development took place and Kochi Divan Shanmughan Chetty constructed a canal link known as 'Shanmugham Canal' to Cochin which improved the water transport of goods and hence the business. The canal still exists even it has lost the past glory.
Some of the famous brands from Irinjalakuda are
- The ayurvedic soap, Chandrika, made by C. R. Kesavan Vaidyar originated in Irinjalakuda and was bought by the Bangalore company Wipro.
- Another company which had made it big is Bombay Stock Exchange listed is Kerala Solvent Extractions Ltd. The company manufacture cattle feed, edible oils and dairy products.
- KLF Nirmal Industries P Ltd, with their brand KLF Coconad endorsed by Padmasree Mohanlal, is one of the biggest brands in coconut cooking oil.
- KPL Oil Mills (P) Ltd. - Famous for KPL Shudhi
- Vajra Rubber Products (P) Ltd
- Kerala Feeds
- Pilotsmith (India) Pvt. Ltd.
Irinjalakuda is governed by Irinjalakuda Municipality. The Municipality was formed on February 8, 1936 with an area of 11.24 square kilometres. K.I. Varunny was the first municipal chairman and the municipality was divided into 22 electoral wards. Now, the Municipality has 41 wards. Irinjalakuda is the headquarters of the Mukundapuram Taluk and is a Grade-I municipality. There is a court complex inside the Civil Station that houses the Judicial First Class Magistrate Court, Additional Sub Court, Munsif Courts and Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal. (M.A.C.T.). Irinjalakuda also has a family court. There is a special sub jail in Irinjalakuda . .
The MLA of the Irinjalakuda legislative constituency is Prof. K.U Arunan. Irinjalakuda assembly constituency was a part of Mukundapuram (Lok Sabha constituency) till 2009 Lonappan Nambadan was the last Loksabha MP of Mukundapuram. From 2009,Irinjalakuda is now a part of Thrissur (Lok Sabha constituency). The MP of Thrissur Lok Sabha constituency is C.N.Jayadevan.
The Chairperson of Irinjalakuda Municipality is Smt.Nimya Shiju.
Irinjalakuda is located on State Highway 22 (Kerala), which links to major national highways NH 47 and NH 66 in the State. Two main roads State Highway 22 (Kerala) (Kodungallur-Shornur) Road and State Highway 61 (Kerala) (Potta-Moonupeedika) criss-crosses Irinjalakuda town. KSRTC bus station is situated behind the Koodalmanikyam temple.
There is a private bus station in Irinjalakuda which serves local and inter-district travellers.
The nearest railway station is the Irinjalakuda Railway Station which is about 7 km East of the town at Kallettumkara,Aloor Villages. Irinjalakuda Railway Station is managed by the Southern Railways of Indian Railways. Most express trains stop at this station. Thrissur Railway Station is the nearest major railhead with STOP for all trains, which is just 22 km from Irinjalakuda.
The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery, which is 38 km away. The airport is well connected to all major airports in India and also connected to many foreign cities. Direct flights are available to Chennai, New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata.
Irinjalakuda has several hospitals and health clinics, including Ayurvedha, Eyecare are situated in the heart of Irinjalakuda.
- Govt. General Hospital,Tana, Irinjalakuda.
- Irinjalakuda Co-operative Hospital,Nadavarambu.
- Marina Hospital,Tana.
- Sacred Heart Hospital,Pullur.
- Lal Memorial Hospital,Mapranam.
- ESI Dispensary.
- Govt. Ayurveda Hospital.
- Kandamkulathy Ayurveda Hospital.
- Nethra Eye Care Centre.
Between the 14th and 16th Century, it was a center of learning. Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics which was believed to be founded here, made major contributions in Algebra, Arithmetic, Astronomy, Calculus, Geometry, Infinite Series and Linguistics.
- Christ Engineering College
- PNS College of Engineering & KTES Industrial Training Center
- Christ College
- St. Joseph's College, Irinjalakuda
- Namboodiris Institute of Higher Education
- Jyothis College Irinjalakuda
- Lisieux Convent & Home Science College
- Chemmanur Academy irinjalakuda
- Bhavan's Vidya Mandir, Irinjalakuda
- Christ Vidyaniketan ICSE
- Don Bosco Higher Secondary School
- Don Bosco Central School (ICSE & ISC)
- L. F. C. H. S. S., Irinjalakuda
- S. N. H. S. S., Irinjalakuda
- Government model higher secondary school, Nadavambra
- Prateeksha Bhavan (School for the mentally struggling children - near Christ College)
- Sangameswara NSS EMHS
Irinjalakuda has been the home of many notable people, including:
- "The Legend". Koodalmanikyam Temple. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "A Short History". AEO Irinjalakuda. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "Irinjalakuda". Janasevana Kendram. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- C T Rajagopal and M S Rangachari (June 1978). "On an untapped source of medieval Keralese mathematics". Archive for History of Exact Sciences. 18 (2): 89–102. doi:10.1007/BF00348142.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "A Short History". AEO Irinjalakuda. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "Company". Google Finance. Retrieved 2010-04-24.
- "KLF Nirmal Industries launches Hair oil in the city". Afro Asian Business Chronicle. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- "History". Irinjalakuda Municipality. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- "Video Conferencing between Courts and Jails launched". Kerala State IT Mission. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Ripper Surendran escapes again". The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "How to reach". Koodalmanikyam Temple. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Irinjalakuda.|
- Irinjalakuda Municipality : Official Website