An insignia (Latin: īnsignia, nominative plural of insignium, "emblem, token, symbol"), plural insignias, is a symbol or token of personal power, status or office, or of an official body of government or jurisdiction. An insignia is usually the emblem of a specific or general authority.
Official insignia are often protected by law as to allow their use only by people holding a specific office or staff members acting on behalf of such a person. Misuse, defacement and destruction of such symbols is considered an offense in many countries.
Typical examples of insignia include:
- Coats of arms and Heraldry
- Flags of a country or state
- Military aircraft insignia
- Military rank and unit markings:
- British Army officer rank insignia
- British Army Other Ranks rank insignia
- British Royal Air Force officer rank insignia
- British Royal Air Force other rank insignia
- British Royal Navy officer rank insignia
- British Royal Navy ratings rank insignia
- Croatian military ranks insignia
- Nazi Party rank insignia
- Polish Armed Forces rank insignia
- United States
- United States Army officer rank insignia
- United States Army enlisted rank insignia
- United States Marine Corps enlisted rank insignia
- United States Marine Corps officer rank insignia
- United States Navy officer rank insignia
- United States Navy enlisted rate insignia
- United States Coast Guard enlisted rank insignia
- United States Coast Guard officer rank insignia
- United States Air Force enlisted rank insignia
- United States Air Force officer rank insignia
- Military ranks of Ukraine
- Other National Emblems
- Shoulder patch, or shoulder sleeve insignia (SSI)
- "Insignia". www.merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 2015-04-12.
a badge or sign which shows that a person is a member of a particular group or has a particular rank
- "18 U.S. Code § 712 - Misuse of names, words, emblems, or insignia". LII / Legal Information Institute. September 21, 1959. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
Pub. L. 86–291, § 1, Sept. 21, 1959, 73 Stat. 570; amended Pub. L. 93–147, § 1(a), Nov. 3, 1973, 87 Stat. 554; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147
- Pimbley, Arthur Francis (1908). Pimbley's dictionary of Heraldry. Pimbley.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Insignia.|