The title may refer to the head of the governmental department that specializes in industry. This position may also be responsible for trade and employment, areas that fall under the ministries of commerce and labour in some governments. Depending on the country, the industry minister may have a wide range of responsibilities that could include making decisions regarding utilities and electricity production, presiding over business mergers, and lobbying corporations to build facilities in his or her respective country.
In the United States, industry is the responsibility of the Secretary of Commerce, with an Under Secretary of Commerce for Industry and Security specifically tasked with executing policy regarding industry. In the United Kingdom, the minister of industry is called the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, and bears the secondary title President of the Board of Trade.
Country-related articles and lists
- Australia: Minister for Industry
- Azerbaijan: Minister of Economy
- Brazil: Ministry of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade (Brazil)
- Canada: Minister of Innovation, Science, and Economic Development
- People's Republic of China: Minister of Industry and Information Technology
- Hong Kong: Secretary for Commerce and Industry
- Colombia: Minister of Commerce, Industry and Tourism
- Czech Republic: Ministry of Industry and Trade
- Egypt: Minister of Industry and Foreign Trade
- European Union: European Commissioner for Industry and Entrepreneurship
- France: Minister of the Economy, Industry and Employment
- Ghana: Minister for Trade and Industry
- Iceland: Minister of Industry, Energy, and Tourism
- India: Minister of Commerce and Industry
- Iran: Minister of Industries and Mines
- Iraq: Minister of Industry
- Ireland: Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation
- Italy: Minister of Economic Development
- Israel: Industry, Trade and Labour Minister
- Japan: Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Laos: Minister of Industry and Commerce
- Malaysia: Ministry of International Trade and Industry
- Isle of Man: Minister of Trade and Industry
- Norway: Minister of Trade and Industry
- Pakistan: Minister of Industry
- Russia: Minister of Industry
- Singapore: Minister of Trade and Industry
- South Korea: Minister of Commerce, Industry and Energy
- Spain: Minister of Industry, Trade, and Tourism
- Sweden: Minister of Industry
- Syria: Minister of Industry
- Tanzania: Minister of Industry and Trade
- Thailand: Minister of Industry
- Turkey: Minister of Industry and Commerce
- United Kingdom: Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills
- United States: Secretary of Commerce
- Vietnam: Minister of Industry and Trade
- Zimbabwe: Minister of Industry and Commerce
Notes and references
- Tara Patel (June 20, 2011). "French industry minister rejects poll backing nuclear withdrawal". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- Richard Welsch (February 9, 2011). "Canada industry minister mulling whether to review LSE/TMX deal". Fox Business Network. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- "Industry minister woos Hyundai". The Nation. March 8, 2011. Retrieved June 23, 2011.
- "Christine Lagarde named IMF chief". BBC News. June 18, 2011. Retrieved July 9, 2011.